Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear huntings different...No?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bear huntings different...No?

I do not hunt bears because I do not like the taste of them. I simply refuse to shoot something I do not like to eat. However my wife likes bear meat and wants me to shoot one, but again i will not because of reasons stated above. There was 2 bears shot about 70 miles from here that were breaking into barns to attack goats as well as horses and they are hoping they got the problem ones. Bears here can become problems in the spring after hybernating and are hungry. Again in the fall when they are building up reserves for the long winter ahead. At either of these times bear can become aggresive but most do not. If a bear shows aggression then it would be relatively easy for me shoot it but I preffer not to.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for being cool about this!

I know I can always just hunt something else but the hunter inside me thinks I'm an idiot for being unwilling to hunt anything that I am willing to eat.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: ShowboatHK

I know I can always just hunt something else but the hunter inside me thinks I'm an idiot for being unwilling to hunt anything that I am willing to eat.

Thanks for the input.
I love me some ribeye but have no interest in killing a cow.

Don't sweat it man, if you have no desire to hunt them, then don't do it. I do think that once you did your mind would change, but who knows.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear hunting is likely my favorite animal to hunt. Turkeys may edge them out, but not by much. The whole proccess is what I enjoy. Finding the right place, baiting, seeing them in the wild...everything. They are very hard to hunt, and it is a rush. You'd never think a 300 lb bear could be quieter than any other animal in the woods, but they are.

It really isn't for everyone. I LOVE bear meat, actually just ate a roast last night I cooked in the slow cooker all day.

It's cool if you don't want to hunt them, but it sure is fun. I'm in the group don't do it if you don't want to, but then something is also telling me...don't knock it till you try it.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the input.
I'm not a fan of the baiting nonsense, and here in Montana astriple Mposted, it is spot and stalk only. It is a genuinely tough hunt. I suppose if you consider the high country spot and stalk method of harvest, it tempers the ill feelings of bear hunting. I harbor no special feeling towards the bear, nor any feelings of ill will either. The wolf on the other hand, can be gut shot and rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

"Baiting nonsense". LMAO. Obviously youve never done it before to see how much leg work goes into it and how difficult itis. Also out your way you have enough open land to spot and stalk where as here in Maine the majority of the state is big woods.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i could not believe that my friends came in with 5 bear they got here in clinton county,pa. this week with a BOW.

weather was awful,wind blowing etc and cold.

i cant even see one in gun season ,let alone shoot it .

then they come in with 5 of them with a bow
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StillHunter90

"Baiting nonsense". LMAO. Obviously youve never done it before to see how much leg work goes into it and how difficult itis. Also out your way you have enough open land to spot and stalk where as here in Maine the majority of the state is big woods.
If I could bait here in California, I would try it, it's all spot and stalk for me here, others still run'em with dogs here but fewer are doing it here in Southern California. We can't even bait hogs here...I would bait them for sure...The only animal that is legal to bait here is Coyote.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

Thanks for the input.
I'm not a fan of the baiting nonsense
No worries. There is always "that" guy.

Come try to kill a bear in MN without bait. Spot and stock a bear through a MN swamp, rigggggght
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Even among the group of about 20 guys in my hunt club about half of them have no interest in killing a bear and we see them quite frequently. As for me, I took my first one (with a bow) earlier this year. It was qutie a rush and I'd do it again for the right bear. However, it's not something I want to do every year.

Quick Reply: Bear huntings different...No?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.