Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much to Tip ??????

Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much to Tip ??????

d
Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turd...tard...what's the difference?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM

I read thru Finnbears post and I agree with him 100%. He is saying that tips are EARNED, not expected. I can't believe that you people can't even read what a post means. I tip 20% when we eat out, if the service sucks, I tip nothing, plain and simple. You don't get a tip just by showing up, thats what yor wage is for, you get a tip forexcellent service.Unfortunately, many business rely on their customrs to compensate for their lack of decent pay, and I'm sick of that too. Before you get on here and hammer a poster, at least take the time to read and understand their post.[:@]
Old 11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

I read thru Finnbears post and I agree with him 100%. He is saying that tips are EARNED, not expected. I can't believe that you people can't even read what a post means. I tip 20% when we eat out, if the service sucks, I tip nothing, plain and simple. You don't get a tip just by showing up, thats what yor wage is for, you get a tip forexcellent service.Unfortunately, many business rely on their customrs to compensate for their lack of decent pay, and I'm sick of that too. Before you get on here and hammer a poster, at least take the time to read and understand their post.[:@]
It's not always what you say but how you say it. Go back and reread his first post, he was being a total turd! Not called for. I have no problem with the wording of your post and neither would anyone else. You might feel the same way but you relay it differently.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

U are right about folks not comprehending what they read mulie!! thanx for the heads up but I don't want U geting into hot water with these folks that seem to not be able to get their point across with out insulting some one or calling them names!!!! I fail to see what they are all hotted up about they have not once rebutted what I have said with a coherant statement , but have only been able to respond with insults!!! angain thanx for taking the time to read my post!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Finnbear:
First of all I am truly sorry this got out of hand. But truly the tone in your first post on this thread was an attack on me. At the end of your post you wrote you would like to know my company name so you could be sure to not do business with me. That is an absolute outright attack on a personal level. Your tone was absolutely offensive to me and others on this site. The attack was unnecessary and was not in the same tone as the thread up to the time you posted. You took a widely questioned and congenially answered exchange / discussion and turned it into a volley of destructive and angry rebuttals in one unnecessary attack. Your post is precisely how not to get respect in the world today. I do agree that a poor job or a poor effort does not deserve a tip. I will also repeat what I said before your attack on me... if one cannot afford a tip but you had a good hunt worthy of a tip then tell your guide you had a good hunt and would love to leave a tip but cannot afford one. He will understand. By the time the hunt is over he will have formed at least a minimal relationship with you and should know by then that you really cannot afford one and while he may be disappointed, he should understand.
Again I truly am sorry this turned out this way. I was trying to help out someone who had a genuine question that I have encountered several times in the past.
If I could make a suggestion to those of you using this forum, if you feel the need to post a negative opinion please take a minute or two and think about the direction your post will take the thread. Momma always said -- if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Bugleward

by the way there was a statement about paying poor wages. Depending on length of service and experience, we pay as much as $300 a day to our guides that includes everything. How many of you people pay your employees that much or how many of you make that much? This is a temporary and non-educated job. Those are huge numbers. Also there was mention of outfitter having lots of money... I put in well over 2,000 hours a year in outfitting. My profit has averaged about $3,000 a year. The guides and landowners make far more money than I do. Please before you make those harsh judgements you should do some research. True there are some folks out there making a lot of money outfitting. Those are really few and far between. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well expressed turkeyward! Obviously your a gentleman.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's to ya Turkeyward!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

well in all fairness this is what I took offense to......

I am an outfitter and a guide. As much as it may suck -- I do judge a hunter by the tip he leaves me. No matter if the guide is the owner or not he is still your guide. If you stiff him on a tip your chances of a good return trip will be much less likely. I have a real problem with guys who obviously have plenty of money and stiff their guide.

The way it is worded it comes across as U deserve a tip and are entitled to one no matter what!!! and that is what I object to, andI would not do business with a company that has that attitude!! I whole heartedly agree that folks should think before they post
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Finnbear:
Thanks for the softening of the tone. I believe we both feel like we could have been more gentlemanly with our words. You may not be as bad a guy as I first thought. If you would take a closer look at my post you spoke of and read it carefully, I really was trying to give an isight into the inner workings of the business from my point of view to help answer the guy's question. I will tell you I am a bit embarassed by how I judge folks on their tip. If I was speaking to the public I would just a soon not even talk about the truth. But that is the truth and for the most part every guide I know pretty much feels the same way. We have an expectation of a tip because we really try hard to do the best things for our hunters/clients. I also have some reservations about talking about the rich guys who leave either a poor tip or even stiff the guide. All of the bad tippers are well off guys. Now not all the well off guys are bad tippers. In fact the best tips come from well off guys but almost always it's the self made man. That's how the statement comes from bad tippers. Again, sorry for the statement but it is the truth as I have experienced it. That is the reason for the statement on my brochure about, "If you want a wine and cheese tray for brunch, you need to look elsewhere for your outfitter." Unfortunately for my bank account my motives for outfitting really are more noble than some might think. I could charge more but don't. I could get bigger but don't. Mostly because I really do try to do it right and for the right reasons. I got into outfitting because I knew I could do better than the outfitters I have hunted with. I figured the hunting world would appreciate a guy who really tries to do it right from the hunter's perspective. Now Finnbear you may think I am trying to be holier than thou here but that's not it. I really do try to do things right for the right reasons. My rush to judge you was from a defensive posture, I apologize. Maybe we could get together some day. Who knows maybe you could show me one of your honey holes... lol Sorry my friend but I hope you understand my not showing you any of my honey holes... lol

Best wishes -- god bless
Bugleward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.