Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much to Tip ??????

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much to Tip ??????

Like I say U don't know me for squat....I have stated and offered here on this forum to take people to my (honeyholes) with the full understanding thatI would expect them to use them!!! becauseI can assure U that if I found it someone else was there before me and after so it is NOT mine!!!!!!! I have even taken a person from these forums and shown him the canyon where I have taken 11 elk and countless deer from, plus invited him to the hospitality of my elk camp!!!
so climb down off of yer high horse and start to smell the coffee!!! I need not defend myself against your attacks!! and attacks they have been!! you are the one that says you expect a tip...I just said tip is earned and wheather a man is wealthy or poor has nothing to do with the size of the tip!!!!! you are the one who took offense to that remark!!
Hell when I was guiding on the Yakima river I charged a fee and that fee covered my expenses and wages..if i got a tip great...if not I was payed a fair price for my boat,strong back and knowledge of the river!!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys:
I'm done with this nut.
Any way some good questions. Questions that are asked a lot and I try to answer it to best of my knowledge. Provided you don't have some sort of aversion to sanity like our friend finnbear. You should do OK with what I have suggested.
There may be some other points of view out there but what I have said here is pretty much what goes on out here in my part of the west. I would be happy to help if I can.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 PM

If outfitters paid guides a reasonable amount of money, tipping wouldn't be necessary at all. Seems to me the oufitters have plenty of money to lease up ranches and vast tracks of land, ought to be able to throw some of that cash to the men who actually make the operation work. I know a heck of a lot of guides out here who have been stiffed or short changed by outfitters. I guided a season for an outfit I was looking at purchasing, once involved, I ran out of it quick, I want nothing to do with that business anymore, or the special favors the western states bestow.[:@]
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

turkeyward;
for such an upstanding and religious god fearin man U sure are quick to hand out insults and call folks names just because they dissagree with U andrefuse to kiss yer ass and take yer word as the gospel!!! U have done nothing but insult me and call me names when all I did was make the statment that a tipis NOT required if service is poor it is only paid as a gift and or for exceptional service!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have only ever hunted with one outfitter. I hunted fall Black bear in Alberta, where a good friend was guiding. I went up with the stipulation that I would help with running the bear baits, skinning, etc (everything that their guides did). I didn't want to sit in the lodge and wait til afternoon to hunt. Up before 6 am, loading bait, running to bait stations, filling, loading , running, filling, running, etc. I worked my tail end off keeping 36 stations open. Now I have another buddy that guides hunts in Texas, riding all day long and glassing, walking for miles, glassing, etc. It's a lot of work. Anyone who thinks it's easy should try it. Yes you should tip according to your experience, and how hard they tried to get you your trophy. But it boils down to hunting, if it was easy to get a trophy, they''d call it killin not hunting.

finnbear - whether you intend it or not, you have come across as a complete jack***. I can't believe that anyone would think that they have rights to a spot that their friend took them too. Remind me never to invite you to a honeyhole. You come across with the attitude that you are entitled to something, keep that up and you won't have any friends. Good friends are to be appreciated, not taken advantage of. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I am just a ignant ole bastard....becauseI fail to see the sanctity of someones (honeyhole) likeI say if U found it someone else did too!! if it's on public land then it is for everyone to use!! and further more if ya don't want anyone to use it don't show it to folks!!!!! I've ran into people like U out in the woods before claiming this is their canyon or their hillside and I need to find anouther place to hunt..and on public ground ne less!!!! this holier than thu attitude is just funnier than hell coming from so called grown ups!!!! U folks here passing judgment are no better than U say I am!!!!! so shame on U
Old 11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called respect, respect to your friend and his effort to find a honeyhole. Granted public land is far different than seeking and aquiring permission, finding a honeyhole then having a friend try and go behind your back and gain permission. Public land is exactly that but if I have permission to hunt and am allowed to bring a friend, I bring the "friend" with the expectation that he/ she isn't going to try and pull the rug out from under me. I have had this happen and it's lower than snake belly. They wouldn't even have known about it without the effort I put into it. I may not own the land I hunt but it is treated like it is, one property I hauled 3 truck loads of garbage out where people dumped it roadside. Again it's called respect, respect for the landowner, for your friends, for the effort and appreciation for taking them to one of your better spots. You are the one with the attitude, most call it the "entitlement" attitude, you feel that you are owed something that you haven't earned. I don't know you but your attitude lends me to believe that I am better off for not. Have a good day.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I'm just thick in the head!! I keep talking about public land and yer whining about private land...I hunt no private land...there is too much public land where I'm from!!! and I have no place in any post in this forum said that I am entitled to hunt anyplace but public land and I don't care if it's where some outfitter is working or someone thinks it is their honey hole if it's public land I'm entitled to hunt it!!! and I'm gladI don't know U either!! I could not stand being around someone as narrow minded and judgmental as U are!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeyward respectfully bowed out...so what the hell, I'll attempt to take over for him. (in my own low keyed manner).

finnbear, you appear to be a turd and should go lay in the back yard with the rest of them!!!

There is nothing wrong with giving a good tip for good service. One of my best friends was an Orvis endorsed flyfishing guide, and his tips were great, because of his results and his good attitude. Even with way above average tips it was hard for him to make a living. He had to quit and get a real job and it broke his heart.
I was just offered a job as a guide at one of Colorado's most expensive elk and mule deer ranches. It was a year round job because of the upland game hunts provided. I knowI could make a pretty good living there as a single man, but I didn't feel I could support my family or I would have taken the job.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

luckydog...... U twit where did I say I would leave NO tip my comment wastips should not be required nor should your wealth or lack of, be a determing factor insize ofsaid tip!! I never saidI would not tip at all I said I would tuip if the service deserved it!!! U folks need to go back to 2nd grade and learn U're reading comprehention!!!

I guessI am confused about this expectancy of a tip and the feeling that it is owed to them!!!
gra·tu·i·ty

var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "18", "", "6");
interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high");
interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t");
interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fluna%2FG03%2FG0315300.mp3");
interfaceflash.write();

/grəˈtuɪti, -ˈtyu-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gruh-too-i-tee, -tyoo-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

something given without claim or demand.
[/align]
Everyone expects a tip nowadays **** theres even a tip jar in the local kwiky mart...give me a break here!!! If I used a outfitter and got crappy service and a mediocere hunt there would be NO tip..just because I might make good money is no reason for me to leave a bigger tip!!!! I feel that the tip expectation is getting way out of hand, if U have a job and get paid for it then be happy with whatU get !! and IF someone give U an extra little somthing then be extatic with that!!!! It is not your god given right to get a tip!!!!! and turkeyward what is the name of your business I want to make sure I never give U any of my money!!

I have reread this post many times and fail to see what has gotten everyone all up set...all I said was if I got CRAPPY SERVICE there WOULD be NO TIP......which is pretty much what U said!!!!!! which was (There is nothing wrong with giving a good tip for good service) we both said the same thing but I said crappy service U said good service!!!!
I satand by my original post I will NOT give a tip just bercause someone thinks it is their right to get one talk about an entitlement attitude!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.