Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another Eastern Washington Blacktail

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Eastern Washington Blacktail

That indeed is a awesome buck! sss5358 I do however caution your motive.... Watch what you say! huge balls for someone who hasn't established any credibility! I know Mule Deer well, and that's what it appears to be! I guess you should have taken a picture of his tail
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with sss5358.......I worked on the White Creek wind farm and saw deer almost every day and every one was a blacktail many of them were really big bucks as most of this land is leased by one or two gun clubs in the area!!!!! and not open to the public, I heard that the fee's were any where from $650.00 to $1500.00........White Creek is between Bickelton and Roosevelt on the columbia river!!! in Klickatat CO. maybe this will help!!! goldendale is deffinatly in the zone desribed there!!!!!

http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm

It is unfortunate that everone has to be an expert here....if he says it's a blacktail then it's a black tail...end of story....yes a pic of the tail would have made all descussion a moot point, but just seeing a picture of this deer would make it hard toidentify, bothmulies and blacktail are very simular... I have a tendency to belive him as I have been in the area quite a bit and have saw the deer around there, which tend to be MOSTLY blacktails!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very well put.... I have no reason not to believe him as well. Good for him on a fine blacktail! However, you can't come in here as a newb and act hot ****.. period!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The area is around Goldendale. The most Eastern Blacktail get in this state. State game bioligists rate this area as a cross area. So crosses do exist. But not this one, which is why we showed it to a friend who is a state game biologist. Blacktails will grow to this size if they have the feed and these do. Lot's of feed in the wheat fields and not to much to bother them either.

Steve
Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

However, you can't come in here as a newb and act hot ****.. period!
I don't see where he was being any kind of a hot ****. I see him defending his credibility against a completely unfounded personal attack.

He posts pictures of deer that he and his friend killedthis year and are rightfully proud of and BrutalAttack comes on here and acts like a complete ass.

One heck of a buck sss5358. Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 PM

I have my doubts as to it being a PURE Blacktail. A Biologist cannot determine if it has Mule deer in its blood by simply looking at it, they would have to look at its DNA. It could have Mule deer several generations back. Since Mule deer physical characteristics are primarily dominant traits, even a little big of Mulie blood can produce big antlers and body size but still have the black tail. It may be a Blacktail though. I couldn't tell you from that picture.

Either way, NICE KILL!

And to those who don't believe that Blacktails get that big, you are VERY wrong. See my thread in the Bowhunting section here about the Giant 4pt 250lb+ blacktail I took out of the rainforest here on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Blacktails in Washington regularly get over 150lbs and are not uncommon to get up to 175lbs or more. California, Southern Oregon, and Alaska produce much smaller blacktails, with a big California Blacktail buck being 150lbs.