Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Saw my first black bear! Have a couple ?'s

Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Saw my first black bear! Have a couple ?'s

I was hunting Sat. evening about 70 yards from a railroad, I just happened to look over at the tracks and could not believe what I saw. It was a very large black bear just walking down the tracks, I could not believe it. I had heard that we were starting to get them in are area but have never in my life saw one until now, very exiting. My quaestion's are, we are only allowed to kill males, what are some features that will help me identify a male and also I will be deer hunting with a new .243, could this be used on a black bear shooting 100g. Core Lokt, would switching to a Federal Nosler be helpful. Thanks hope to get a chance at one of these bears.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Saw my first black bear! Have a couple ?'s

I'm not sure there is a sure fire way to discern a male from a female. Our regs state we can't shoot a female with cubs visible. I don't think young boar is going to look different than a sow. Your .243 is adequate for black bear within a couple of hundred yards. As in all things, be sure on shot placement. If your shooting long distances, like some areas out west, there will be less kinetic energy down range than with larger calibers. That could be key on a large bear...
Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyomingtrapper

I'm not sure there is a sure fire way to discern a male from a female. Our regs state we can't shoot a female with cubs visible. I don't think young boar is going to look different than a sow. Your .243 is adequate for black bear within a couple of hundred yards. As in all things, be sure on shot placement. If your shooting long distances, like some areas out west, there will be less kinetic energy down range than with larger calibers. That could be key on a large bear...
Seems like their rules are close to the regs in most western states too.

This was right from the VA website:

One per license year, at least 100 pounds live weight or 75 pounds dressed weight (all internal organs removed). Females with cubs may not be harvested.

If I am not mistaking, it does not say anything about male or female, just weight requirements and the presence of cubs. If it has to be at least 100 lbs, they should be about that big before heading on their own anyway.

As far as determining the sex of a bear, I always look for a blocky head and big forearms. If the ears look like a donkey, don't shoot it because you will most likely be under the 100 lb mark. If the bear is alone with smallish ears, I would say don't hesitate to shoot......
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks I must have read right over the part about cubs being present.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck and make sure you share some pics of your bear !!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like a .243 is a bit light for bears.If you are going to use that caliber you would definitely want a solidly constructed bullet.Like a nosler partition,trophy bonded bear claw,barnes tsx etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know where in Va you are, but over half of the state doesn't have any rifle bear season. Archery yes the entire state, smokepole season in half the state, and rifle season in half of the state.

Better to be sure. Here are the regs.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/bear.asp

and I would agree that a .243 is a bit light for a good sized bear. If you hit him, be sure of the shot and make it a good one.

Mitch
Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Pulaski county so I can bow and rifle hunt, though I may just take my 30-06, thanks for help.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck the -06 will do him up good. I hope he is still around when season comes in black bear have a huge home range.

Mitch
Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM

I have hunted a lot of black bears in Arizona. Your .243 will work, but the bigger the better. When using a .243, or any realistic round for that matter, make sure (seriously, make sure) that you break the shoulder. I have blood trailed those varmits for miles to end up empty handed. I have also learned that If the blood runs out, LOOK UP! They tend to scamper up trees when the trailer is closing in on them. Make sure you have a friend with a good dog who is a blood trailer before you go out shooting these guys. Look up a call called the "bear cub bawler," It is fantastic, works better when the sows have cubs. It makes the sound of a cub in distress which calls in boars to kill the baby so the sow goes back into heat.

Good luck, check out my website

www.recoiloutdoors.com