Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting

Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default Elk hunting

Looking for a good elk hunt in any of the Western States.
Have several preference points for colorado but would consider other strates. Anyone with outfitter reccomendations. I like to hunt waterholes or wallows in bow or muzzleloader season.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting

Very broad.... My first question is How much do you want to pay? Maybe do some online networking... I just took two guys from the Flint area with me back to Idaho for a Archery hunt. So it is up to you really. Do you want to pay big bucks for a outfitted hunt? Or possibly do a DIY style hunt and/or meet some new friends and have a Real hunt. There are a ton of options out there. Good luck
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone has the same odds in NM, better units tougher odds obviously but still possible to draw your 1st year.

Idaho I believe also has no pref pts etc...for elk, but hear wolves are causing trouble.

Personally building pts in just about every western state for elk, some are long term hunts, some sooner.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 AM

If you're looking to sit on a wallow or water hole I'd book with an outfitter and pick a dry area where the elk have to use them. Here in western MT elk use these areas sporadically and you can't count on these spots being used regularly. Colorado, New Mexico, or Arizona could be great, but pick an outfitter that knows areas that are ideal for the type of hunting you'd like to do.