Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want my little piece of colorado elk too.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default I want my little piece of colorado elk too.

Hello all,
Im am an okie from muskogee, ok. my dad used to hunt elk when he lived in wyoming when he was much younger, and im trying to set up a hunt for me my dad and a friend to go next year in the 2009 season. with my dad now 72 i figured i better get something done. he is in great shape but just older. in saying all that i was wondering if i could get some input from some colorado residents on what i can expect and what i need to do to peapare so we aren't miserable. i have been studying some maps and think we are going to go to san juan national forests in unit 77. are there many elk there in the second season. any info and input will be greatly appreciated. i am looking to buy a camper and was wondering what i need that won't be too much to haul and get wherever it is i am going. 4x4 necessary. 4 wheelers allowed or necessary. thanks again for your time.

dustin
e mail [email protected]
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default RE: I want my little piece of colorado elk too.

Sounds like a one time hunt. You would save yourself alot of trouble by using an outfitter, there are lots of good ones out there. You can go guided or a do it yourself drop camp if you want a little more of a challenge. Guided will get on horseback and save alot of walking with the added bonus of thier knowledge of the hunting area and experience. A drop camp gives you all the gear such as tent, stove, cooking gear, cots and they pack all your gear, food etc in and out of camp. Most will give you advice on hunting the area you're in, and most important of all they're going topack out your elk if you're successful. Search on line, ask alot of questions and ask for references.
Important to ask if they're "high fence"(game farms) or fair chase and decide which will fit your needs.

My choice is fair chase, much more rewarding at the end of the day.

Good Luck, Rob
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Spike

we are actually going to try to make an annual trip. it's just tough trying to get enough info to try to prevent a total bust. i hunt all the time here in oklahoma and have heard my dad talk about elk and have wanted to go for several years now and have just recently gotten a job as a firefighter which will allow me the time off and a little better pay as i couldn't afford to go till now. thanks dustin
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM

I saw your post and was hoping you had more posts from someone from Colorado also. A buddy of mine talked me in to buying some land in Colorado. It was 5 acres for $5,900.00 so I didn't think it a big deal. The main reason I bought it is because they said it was right near the BLM land and you can hunt some elk. So I was curious if anyone new of the area and hunting near my property. Hey worse case, I build a small cabin and to get away from the humidity.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being near BLM doesn't necassarily = being close to elk!! Lots of BLM land that's not elk country. Why buy land, a guy can set up camp in National forest any where!

goose142004,The biggest factor that you need to concider is gettingan elk out of the woods and back to camp. Not many places that allow ATV's off road. SO you need to plan to hire someone with horses/mules OR be prepared to 1/4 the elk and back pack them out. Your 72 YO dad won't be able to pack out much, so you'll need to be prepared to carry his load. 4 guys can pack out a bull elk in one trip with good packs. Frame packs that have the fold down shelf and are adjustable to fit different sized people are the best. If the pack don't fit a person, that person won't get far with much of a load. Usually, during 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, the temps will be plenty cold to hang the 1/4's of meat in the shade and they will be fine for many days. Have them hung inside of meat bags, and they'll be fine.
There will still be plenty of elk in 2nd season, and 3rd season for that matter. The thing about 1st season rifle, is that often times the elk are still a little bit vocal, which obviously makes them easier to find.
I wouldn't go into elk country w/o a 4x4 vehicle. Matter of fact, I won't even go without having at least one set of tire chains, a good jack, and shovel. The chance of significant snow by then is very good.
Get in shape. the higher altitude will takes its toll very quickly. My 70 yo uncle still elk hunts, BUT he doesn't get near as far from camp as the rest of the guys do, and he's not expected to pack out any meat. The better shape that a person is in will help that person enjoy the hunt more.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Spike

thanks howler. any recommendations on what kind of camper i need? i was going to get a pop up because they are light but we already own a fifth wheel. i drive a dodge 4x4 diesel so pulling isn't a big deal but i dont want to have a camper stuck. with your info i will invest in a set of snow chains also. i appreciate your help.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The camper that you choose will need to be your personnal decision. My family has always used tents because you can get "further in" so to speak. With afifth wheel camper, or any trailer, you're limited to how far into rough country you can get into. Some people go that route and then use ATV's to get further in on the rougher roads. So much of the forest roads aren't much more than rough jeep trails.
A pop up probably isn't a bad choice, but more than 2 or 3 guys in it, along with all thier gear, would be a house full I'd think. Being able to get back to camp and be comfortable is a necassity, IMO. Ifyou can't get good R&R at camp, along with good eating, then hunting hard for several days straight really can get a hunter down.
Also, with a pop up, I'd still guess that you'll need a small trailer of some sort to not only haul stuff(coolers, propane bottles, etc.)that you may need, but also to haul your meat and antlers back home.