Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Salmon zone of Idaho information

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Salmon zone of Idaho information

It's that time of year again, we are getting anxious to do some elk hunting. This year I will be in the Yellow Jacket area of Idaho chasing those dang wapiti.

This will be my second time in that area and was wondering if any could lend some information of maybe a decent jumping off point of where to start.

If it helps, we are staying at the forestry cabin in Yellow Jacket. For those of you who have been there I'm sure you know where I'm talking about.

Last year I hunted up a few drainages around the camp and went back a couple miles for elk. Never did find them, very frustrating. Although I did get my deer right out of camp. Came out of the cabin, I was gathering my gear, looked up on the mountain just in front of me, lo and behold a 3x4 mulie trotting side-hillabout 100 yards out. Luck was with me as I had my rifle in my hand, pulled up, squeezed one off and that was it. Even kind of got a free ride down the mountain after gutting him as I put him on a tarp and basically rode it down, what a rush.

Anyhow, not to get off subject, but if anybody can help out a good ol boy with maybe a destination or so I would appreciate it. For those that know, those hills can be a killer on the legs so any bit of advice would be great!!!

If your information is weight bearing on my abilities, I have no problem with miles of walking and staying over night in the timber.

Thanks all good luck to those hunting this year.

Robert
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Salmon zone of Idaho information

Hello fellow hunters. Gosh, I'm really surprised not one person commented on my post. Maybe it's because I don't have several hundred posts associated with my account, but I'll get there in due time. We all start at zero posts ya know...lol

Based on what I see, or lack of it that is, I'll be hunting the Salmon zone by myself...I find that hard to
believe. Anyhow, I'm leaving in a few days to spend almost a couple weeks scouting, I sure was hoping someone could have helped me out on where to scout/hunt. That's okay, I'll be sure to post my hunt
experience when I get back.....maybe I can help some hunter who doesn't have a gazillion posts.

Take care all!!!

Robert
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Salmon is a tough zone to hunt big steep...have hunted otu of challis quite a bit, but never in salmon zone...

I know the northfork has lots of elk...and the population is pretty good around teh border (with montana)...but also know the wolves are hitting that herd HUGE...

if you have only hunted there once, would suggest checking up in Gibbonsville area...lots of elk around there...I drive to Salmon frequent enough, and almost always see elk in and around there...would suggest staying on the Eastern side of the road...and those drains in there...

Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knowing where the elk are going to be is the hardest part. Hunting with my friends in Wyoming last week we put a lot of miles on our boots looking for elk in places that looked very promising to us, but evidently not to the elk. Water is a big deal to elk, more so than deer for sure so make sure you are in an area that has water sources. Elk generally leave plenty of sign that they've been there so if you find fresh sign you know you are on the right track, then you just have to figure out how to be there are the right time.

I doubt anyone is going to give up their honey hole to someone on the internet though!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to remember that you're hunting around Salmon, ID, not a suburb of New York City. Probably there aren't more than a bare handful, if that, on this site that hunts there, and like npaden said they may not be real hot on giving away their honeyholes.