Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What can I expect CO 1st season Unit 28

Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM

Default What can I expect CO 1st season Unit 28

Hi all, new here and to elk hunting. Just wanted to know if some one could give me some advise on unit 28 in Colorado?We (self and wife)have tags for 1st season, starts Oct.13.
I will be going up to look around in a week, but would like any help I can get.
Will be in the Winter Park and Tabernash area.
Anyone know of a place to pull a camper into, in the national forest?
Is this a very hard place to hunt? Lots of hunters?
I know most hunters don't like to give away hot spots, I understand, just would like to get into some elk, we would be happy to see, and maybe get a shot at cows.
Is it all N.F. that we can hunt or is there BLM, or State areas?
Does it help totry elk callingduring1st season hunts?
Anything else for pointer, would be great, green horns here.
Thank you all in advance. Hope you all have a safe hunt this year.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Default RE: What can I expect CO 1st season Unit 28

I live in unit 28 but unfortunately I am a green horn as well. I have lived here for about two years and know a little bit about the area. My tag is for 2nd season rifle and I have a 4th season cow. I am running solo right now and looking for partners to join up for public land hunting in this area. Do you live in Co?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.So have youlooked around much up there?yes we live down South of Denver. I think we will hunt from Tabernash area, any pointers? Have you been back into the Indian Peaks Wilderness?
Do you know if I could pull my camper into any of the forest service roads, if so do you have the names or numbers? I hope you find someone to hunt with this year. Maybe next year you could get a 1st season tag and we could hunt together that would make my wife happy, as she is not trilled to hunt much any more.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Lets keep in touch for next season. I have second season riflefor bull and fourth season cow. This is my first year hunting and have read and watched numerous items on elk hunting. Can't wait to get out there. Good luck!! You can camp on any BLM land. Just make sure that you do not go through someone elses property to get to the BLM Land. Thats a big NO NO UP HERE. Which I am sure that we all learned in hunters safety. All I am saying is that some people are big A-wipes!! Unless you have permission. Best thing is to contact DOW in Hot Sulphur to find out where the elk are at.Have you hunted any other game??