Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ANTELOPE HUNTING GEAR?????

Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Default ANTELOPE HUNTING GEAR?????

I am new to this forum and i drew a tag to area 23 near gillette,Wy for my 1st ever antelope hunt.I am going the 2nd week of october what i guess to be late in the season for speedgoat huntin. I need some advice on what kind of hunting clothing i need to buy.
What brand and camo pattern?
Ineed something i can shed if i start getting too hot but something that can handle colder temps.I also need something comfortable that i can move around in very easily as well.I just bought a set of Danner sierra hunting boots with 200gr thinsulate due to i was needing a new set for birdhunting.
Any advise would be appreciated!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANTELOPE HUNTING GEAR?????

It's hard to say what the weather will be like that time of year. It could be 90 or it could be 40.

The goats will be plenty pressured by then so expect them to be pretty easily spooked. Is there any chance you could make it out there a little earlier?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your pick-up should do fine
BBJ
Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was a joke by the way,are you bow hunting or Rifle? are you required to wear orange? are you flying or driving?

What I wear here in Montan is a Scent-lok Savana shirt in praire break-up,blue jeans and good shoes.We have to wear 400 sq inches of Orange during gun season.Pack a mid-weight coat a good vest and a heavy hooded sweat-shirt and plenty of warm socks.The weather will probaly be chilliy in the morrning and warmer in the after noons 50-70's.If Gillett is anything like it was when I was there the WIND will blow!!! so a nice layer of clothes to peel off shoud be fine.
I carry a coat and gloves,and warm hat in the pick-up in case it dips and gets chilly.
Good Luck
BBJ
PS where you from?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

May consider a game cart, and/or a pack frame...

spotting scope, binos,

Old 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Your pick-up should do fine
BBJ
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt next door to 23, never seemed to run out of goats.

"Layered" is the key to clothing, as you're apparently already aware. You will be required to wear orange (you can check the WY G&F website for specifics). Mornings mid-October can be "brisk", but what makes you comfortable then will roast you by 10:00. I'm not sure what weight of Thinsulate are in my Danners, but they're a good compromise to carrying a pair of cold-weather boots for the morning and lightweight hikers for mid-day. I would assume that yours would be fine provided you break them in properly if you haven't already.

Wind is definitely something a lot of people don't consider. Might seem simple, but having Chap-stik and sunscreen can help offset its tendency to dry exposed skin out. But, I've rarely found the ambient temperature low enough the second week of October to really concern me about wind chill. You'll still find temps in the 60s, possibly even 70s during the day. And, it can be very bright - so sunglasses might be useful.

Goats see very well. They're very used to vehicles in most cases, so the "pickup" comment above - while humorous - isn't far off. They'll pick up bipedal movement in an instant, regardless of your wearing blue jeans or camo. I've done well spotting them with good binos, predicting where they might go (whether they're browsing or whether they might take flight from other hunters), and setting myself up somewhere along their likelyroute.

Not the hardest critters to find, but the distances involved, their sight, and their speed make them a fun hunt. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Walking shoes and binocs.

Camo isnt as important because you SHOULD be able to use the terrain to your favor. I suspect it shouldn't be too awfully difficult to get within rifle range a few times on a good day. Wind can actually help tremendously in these situations.

They may be pretty pressured that late in the season though.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my post! I am from east central indiana and me and a bud are going out to a ranch owned by a private individual who owns a little over 5,000 acres. He has been guiding hunters since 1969 and he said we will have to work for a goat if the weather is cold and windy.I am using a Remington 700 26" fluted barrel 270WSM w/Leupold VX-L 4.5-14 B&C. I have it zero'd at 200 yards using hand loaded 130gr Nosler Accubonds. I am currently working up a load for Berger VLD's 130grWhat kind of shooting sticks should i buy? They say the prairie grass is really tall this year!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I would chime in but to save typing everything said above couldn't be said better. Goats are easy to find but hard to close the distance.

Quick Reply: ANTELOPE HUNTING GEAR?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.