Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lone Wolf Question???

Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lone Wolf Question???

Is there any significance in a lone wolf sighting? I thought they usually ran in packs. Just wondering.

Thanks Bryan
Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lone Wolf Question???

I could've sworn I saw 1, in a section of WY they say doesn't have wolves...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both. They mostly keep in packs but the male pack leaders will solo hundreds of miles and come back to the pack. A pack will comb a whole mountain side solo, so just because you thought you saw a solo wolf doesn't necessarily mean the pack wasn't near. I saw a black one feeding on a road kill and as I drove towards it, the wolf ran in the bush and after I drove by I looked in my review mirror and it had came back to the kill.

Bobby
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen single, traveling wolves a number of times. Like 121553 said, the alpha male will travel far in it's home range scouting for prey.A couple years ago we had a single wolf pace us for a day in the Wyoming range. We figure he was looking to kill our wolfdog.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen them alonemore thanin packs. By tracking in the snow I have seen how they will fan out to hunt, with a hundred yards or so between animals, they then drive prey in front until an easy target presents itself, then the rest of the pack closes in. Young wolves may also be cast out of packs, and wander until they join or form a new pack. These may be some of the reasons you are more apt to see them by themselves, but in reality other wolves may be close by. In our thick timbered areas you can only see a few yards in some spots, so unlike open tundra where you could see a whole pack even if they were spread out, here you would only see one animal.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 PM

wolves suck!!! we have loads of those varmints here in minnesota. they ruin the best places to hunt