Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What can I expect from Newfoundland?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What can I expect from Newfoundland?

If you only have one opportunity make it Northern B.C. in the Prophet/ Muskwa area.I saw several bulls each day on my elk/moose hunt,and could have taken at least a half dozen bulls 48" or larger.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

You might be surprised at how cheap you can hunt in NL. I haven't checked in the past 3 years but before that a fully guided 5 day hunt 7 day stay at Snowshoe was less than 3K and that included the tag for either a bou or moose with no other costs other than a butcher if you wanted your meat cut and frozen. Inflation and the falling US dollar have undoubtedly increased the costs but I would still check it out. It was a blast, the people were great and the land is truly beautiful.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Newfoundland is one of my favorite places to hunt. I usually go every year. My very good friend is an outfitter in NL. There are a lot of Moose but a 60-70" while not impossible would be totally unrealistic. More like 30-50" would be in the range of normal.

The caribou is in trouble in NL, as such the government has cut way way back on the amount of tags available. there are only a few outfitters with any tags this year and probably none by next year. The bear hunting is one of the best kept secrets, they have huge black bears.

If anyone wants additional info i will be happy to pass it along.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree about the bear, I saw several monsters everytime I went.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Have you looked at Alberta?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Brian Barzee

The caribou is in trouble in NL, as such the government has cut way way back on the amount of tags available. there are only a few outfitters with any tags this year and probably none by next year.
Wow what is going on with that? Last time I went there was 2005 and went also in 2004 and 2003. We always saw a huge amount of bou and pretty much had our pick of nice shooters. Hopefully it isn't some disease or other thing that will threaten them. NL is about the last place where you can hunt Woodland Caribou which is really a great animal.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM

They have known that the caribou have been in trouble and declining for the last 15 yrs but have never taken any action. They are blaming it on predators, Bears, eagles and Lynx have always been around but recently an exploding coyote population is taking most of the credit. although it is well known that there has always been a tremendous amount of poaching as well.