Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear pics on a bear bait.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear pics on a bear bait.

Good luck Steve. Can't wait to hear the stories & see the pix when you get back!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Ryan!! If I don't here from you before I get back good luck out there in Idaho elk hunting with Troy. I really envy you guys out there. And I'm a tad jealous! I miss my elk hunting!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks. You should be back before I head out there. I still have 3 weeks to go. I tell you though the wait is killer.
But I guess its a good wait to have.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Spike

I live in nystate. We aren't legally able to bait bear or deer here. Yet the only way 98 -99% of bear and most deer that are killed in the northern states are taken that way. The state parks that many people go camping in are full of bears. Many guys are getting pinched over bait here in the past few years. I will tell you one thing. The only way to eat a bear, is over a rotisserie in a big cooker. A friend of mine has done that a few times for me, and I will tell you they taste great. The only way I will eat one from now on. A good basting mix is a must. Cheese cloth soaked with this mixture, wrapped around the bear to prevent it from drying out. This keeps it moist.You have to wire a wire mesh over the body of the meat to keep it together, and cook until temp is checked with a meat thermometer. Not sure the reading but would imagine it has to be at least 180deg. you have to be pretty lucky to get one on drive. I have been lucky enough to do this just once, we were on a deer drive and I saw him a long ways through a hemlock stand. Try that rotisserie guys/girls, I don't think you will be sorry.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Any luck yet Schultzy my 5 days in the boundry waters was a bust I have talked with several guys hunting up there and none of us even saw a bear plenty of moose though
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

Any luck yet Schultzy my 5 days in the boundry waters was a bust I have talked with several guys hunting up there and none of us even saw a bear plenty of moose though
Nothing mconwa!!! Bear hunting was damn tough this year. We had little action on our baits. Only a few baits were getting action. I posted a thread in the bow hunting forum on the hunt. Its an interesting read. Check It out!!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3024840