Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaskan moose hunt

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Alaskan moose hunt

We are going to Alaska in 3 weeks for an outfitted moose hunt. (not guided). Any tips or suggestions from folks who have done this or have moose hunting experience? This is our first time hunting moose. I've read alot of good books, watched videos and was wondering if there was info any of you could relay? Thanks in advance.

Yoddler
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaskan moose hunt

First of all, welcome to the forum.
Good luck on your moose hunt. A couple of questions for you:
What area of the state are you hunting?
Are you doing a float hunt, or getting dropped of at a basecamp?
I've been a guide in AK for several years, so based on your answers I would be happy to give you some suggestions.

Ken
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Alaskan moose hunt

Here are a few things you should not go with out. a good long bone saw ,I like the bigger browning ulta light folding saw. 8 heavy duty meat bags per moose,not the cheap ones that tear and snag on anything ,I use the ones called the real maCoys.A range finder the shots can be long ,sometimes you can't get any closer and still see the animal because of brush, water ,tarrain[spelling].Forth ,a couple of good buddys that will kill their self to help get it packed out,it takes 8 to 10 tripe for a moose.Neoprene waiters ,you will wear most of the tripe. know what a 50'' bull looks like and if you get caught waisting 1 baggie of meat ,they will take your moose and the fine will cost about as much as a guided hunt would have.What unit are you hunting ?Are you buying a caribou tag ?Anything else I can help you with just ask.

[/align]