Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Backcountry Hunting Tips

Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backcountry Hunting Tips

[blockquote]
Ok, I know most of us probably have our butts parked at a prime glassing point come first light on the first day of the season. I'm interested to hear how ya'll change your hunting tactics as the season goes on....second day, third day, first weekend, etc.

Does everyone start hoofing it around looking for fresh sign, or are there a silent majority that still sit in that little saddle on Mystery Ridge that offers an easy passage for the elk from one drainage to the next?
[/blockquote]
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Backcountry Hunting Tips

I tend to move away from pressure. Once the horses and ATV's start coming in I move out. I start off in hard to reach locations to begin with. I'll keep my base camp. Head out with a bivy sack, a light load and a few days worth of food. I like people less than the animals do!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, me too, I try to pack myself into an area that is sandwiched between the road/day hunters and the outfitters. I have found that if I go 2 miles form the enarest road, I usually see no one. I am fidgety and like to keep on the move. This year, I think I'll sit and glass for the first day. If I see nothing, I'll start hoofing it the next day.

Since the area I hunt gets little hunting pressure, I wouldn't want to go hoofing it all day through the timber and spook em out of the area. They'll stay in the general vicinity if I see em.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually during the mornings I'll sit in my blind or tree stand from about 30-45 minutes before sunrise til about 10:00 then I just can's sit still any longer. I'll get up and start touring the area to get a better idea of where I want to be the next couple of days in the morning and late afternoon. I find that I have just as much success while moving around between 10:30 and 2:00 as I do at sunup and sundown. Then again the area I hunt is 2500 contigous acres that borders state game land and forest land andonly three of us have permission to hunt, occasionally the owner and his son will be on the land also but we usually run into each and let each other know where we'll be so there are no stepping on toes. Living 4 hours from the area I hunt though means that I have to do most of my scouting in the weeks leading up to opening day and then while I'm on my lunchtime walks.