Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow on Horse - Need Advice

Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Bow on Horse - Need Advice

Booked a wilderness area archery elk hunt in northwest Wyoming, drew our tags and are headed out Aug. 30th. Have been doing all the right stuff in preperation - working out like crazy, practicing at long distances and accumulating all the gear. Hunt will be based off horses, 20 miles to base camp the first day then up early and back on the horse every day to locate elk, then tie them up and hike.

For those of you who have done this before I have a few questions. Did you use a bow scabbard on the horse, did you use a sling, or one of those clips that go on your belt? Also, did you hike with bow in hand and a day pack with water etc...or did you use a sling and large fanny pack to keep both hands free.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. MIElkhunter
Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow on Horse - Need Advice

Scabbards work well but you may have to bring your own.Back packs that hold the bow uprightare also a good alternative as long as the bottom limb doesn't come down to far.I wouldn't recommendriding with a bow slung over your shoulder,unless you're an experienced rider.Even then,I still wouldn't recommend it.Even good horses spook and a horse getting goosed buy a bow or quiver full of nocks could lead to an interesting ride.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

scabbard, suppied by the outfitter, though I'd considering having my own in the future.

Also had a sling, amazing how much that helps going up and down mtns, when on foot hiking around.
Would strongly reccomend you have a sling.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Hey bud:
Absolutely take a sling. There are some really good ones out there these days. I have always carried mine over my shoulder with a sling while riding the mules. I would suggest the backpack thing too. Eberlestock has a very good one that can work for bow or rifle. There are also some very good scabbards out there. The good ones are over 3
$300. If you decide to go with a scabbard, make sure its one that completely covers all the bow and has a pocket opening for the sights. At the barest minimum be sure to have a good sling along.
Bugleward
Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 AM

All good advice and greatly appreciated. Bought a sling from Cabelas, going to try that out here at home on the back of a horse that I have been riding every week in preperation. Unfortunately the guide does not have a scabbard, thinking about buying one and donating it after the hunt is over.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:49 PM

Use a sling on the horse. You will want it when you are hunting. The ones with the cups that go over the cams are great for riding but take to long to remove in the panic of a set up. There are too many buckles. I have retrofirred one that I get off with one buckle. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a sling and use it for walking up and down the mountains.However,I have to strongly advise against using one on a horse.I own horses and I know what can happen when they spook.If that happens,the last thing you want is an object with several sharp edges flopping around,hitting you and the horse,especially if you're in the timber.If that horse starts to spook,you want to worry about controllingthe horse,not your bow.Use the sling for walking but get something more secure for for riding.Besides,a scabbord would make a nice partial tip to your guide at the end of your hunt.

There's a good chance the guide will have decent stock and you won't have much to worry about but you never know.I was in Colorado on a pack in hunt back in 2003.The outfitter just bought a bunch of horses from an auction prior to us coming out.The horse I ended up using was afraid of water.It wasn't a real big deal because I've trained a few young horses to get over their fear of water but I had some hairy rides each day on this horse.No way would I have wanted a bow slung over my shoulder.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougE

the last thing you want is an object with several sharp edges flopping around,hitting you and the horse,especially if you're in the timber.If that horse starts to spook,you want to worry about controllingthe horse,not your bow.Use the sling for walking but get something more secure for for riding.Besides,a scabbord would make a nice partial tip to your guide at the end of your hunt.

There's a good chance the guide will have decent stock and you won't have much to worry about but you never know.I was in Colorado on a pack in hunt back in 2003.The outfitter just bought a bunch of horses from an auction prior to us coming out.The horse I ended up using was afraid of water.It wasn't a real big deal because I've trained a few young horses to get over their fear of water but I had some hairy rides each day on this horse.No way would I have wanted a bow slung over my shoulder.
Never trust your critters to account for all the issues that can come up...I do this every year in the backcountry, not that I am an expert (but have made LOTS of mistakes), and would agree with above, do NOT suggest having bow hookinto backpack or sling or anything else...(and I have a bow scabbard used it once and never again)

Several reasons...all involve safety...you do NOT want to accidentally hit the horse wiht teh bow scaring it, and causing you to fall/get kicked/ hit in head by trees etc. when getting on and off, easiest thing (if you dont ride a lot) is to make sure you can use both hands, and have someone hand you the bow...

I know there are easier things like backpacks and slings, but if there is a OH CRAP, you want to be able to get rid of the bow, and take control of the hrose or hold on!!

So, for me, I carry my bow in my hand and since I know my critters, and have trained them, I can steer them with neck reigning...so I have one hand on the throttle and one on my bow, and if something happens, the bow get thrown clear...is a lot easier to fix a bow than crawl out of the backcountry...

Never assume outfitters critters are bomb proof!!!

Here is a pic from two years ago...backpack I use is a Badlands and while hiking, i hook it up to the backpack, but while riding, I carry the bow...and mine is a SHORT axle to axle so I could carry it on backpack without hitting horse, but would prefer to not for safety...sharp sticky things are scary to me...

Pic from 2 years ago...left bow at camp to go retrieve the meat...be safe, and have fun and take pics, as you will have the time of your life!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I use a sling. It's kind of uncomfortable on my bony shoulders (I constantly switch it back and forth), but it's not too bad in cold weather when you're wearing heavy clothing.

If you're going to walk around with it, DO NOT use one of those Primos slings with the snaps and all. I made the mistake of laying the bow next to me while glassing, only to have a mountain goat pop up in front of me. I looked down and noticed to my horror that my bow was all buttoned up. I needed 15 seconds (and too much commotion) to unsnapped the whole shebang; unfortunately, billy only gave me 14.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

I use a sling that I cut in half then used velcro to put it back together .If your in the timber and a rodeo starts up the bow will break away at the velcroif it gets hung up.
There is no easy way that I have found because of the places you need to get into. I have used a scabbard but the bow took a beating at times, brushing up against trees going in and out of tight places, ect. plus with a shortsling you can move the bow around as needed. It can be a major pain but I love hunting elk with horses. Good luck.