Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what to use for bait

Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Spike

Default what to use for bait

i am getting redy to set up a bear bait what should i use???
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what to use for bait

They love the sweet stuff. Doughnuts, pastries, peanut butter granola etc. They are looking for the stuff that would cause you or I to have a heart attackso they can fatten up. It alsodoesnt hurt to throw some FRESH meat scraps off to the side either incase you have a good boar around.Dont throw them in with your sweet bait thoughput them in a pile off to the side. You can also pour grease under and in front of your bait so that they have to walk through it to get to your barrel. The grease will get stuck to their pads on their feet and they will track it from your bait site all over the woods causing other bears to pick up the scent trail and follow it back to your bait site. Also get anise oil, they seem to love it. Take a womans tampon and pour the anise oil all over it and tie it about 5 feet up on a branch and then pour some more outaround the bait site.Try to bait at the same time every day. The earlier in the morning the better. That will get your bear or bears on a feeding schedule and if youbait early you can increase your odds of them coming in during legal shooting light. One last thing for you to do is to be the only one who goes near your bait so it is just your scent near it. They dont seem to like change to much and another persons scent can spook them into hitting your baits at night. So try to do everything pretty much the same way each day. This should get you started. Good luck to you.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

thank you big help

Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dog food and deli grease works great. Scatter some jello packet powder around on the logs and ground, also maple syrup or molasses works also. Smolder some grease over a fire with some green pine bows to spread the scent.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

doughnuts, doughnuts, doughnuts, and if that doesn't work try some doughnuts. also, i've heard liquid smoke works good. burning honey worked for me last year (only do that while your hunting, obviously).
Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 AM
DM

Lots of guys in Alaska use C.O.B.-wet. That's corn, oats, barley that'swet with molasses... Bears really love it, although it isn't cheap, they will beat a path to it.

Get it where they sell cow or horse feed.

DM
Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Try some popcorn. I have been using it and it seems to work well. Its nice and light and relatively cheap. Sprinkle some jello powder on it or deli grease.