Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou Hunt

Old 07-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caribou Hunt

Any good advice or input would be appreciated. I'm doing an archery hunt in Canada this early fall. Anything special to pack, Dozen arrows be enough to bring along, what kind of yardage can I expect I am comfortable to 45yds.
I have a list from my outfitter but, you guys and gals that go often may have learned some tricks. Any advice from traving,clothing,food,gear and the hunt itself is greatly apprciately.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Inactive

Default RE: Caribou Hunt

Would help to know - where, when and what species your going after.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Place - Northern Quebec,Time - September 8-14,
Species - Quebec/Labrador Caribou
You can PM me if you would like. And thanks for your response.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

One dozen arrows on any travel hunt doesn't make sense to me. You may be good out to 45 yards but open terrain and a constant wind could prove a difficult situation. The animals will always be moving and their large size often makes yardage guessing harder. I would bring a couple dozen arrows and a range finder in addition to a good camo rain suit and rubber boots. Good luck it sounds like you are in for a fun time. I hope you get on some animals.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Inactive

As CI said, camo rain gear (preferably gortex) rubber boots, and warm fall clothing. If your lucky you can dress light during the day, but the nights will cool right off. I would imagine the outfitter sent you a fairly comprehensive list of gear, so i would stick with that.

Good luck on your hunt !!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Another bit of advice is to bring a good waterproof back pack to keep layers of clothing dry. Often the weather is windy cold and rainy. Some hunts spend time spotting from a rocky bluff and the wind goes right through you. Dress lightly when hiking to a spot and then put on some warm clothing for stationary time. My first trip for bou I froze my arse off because I didn't have the right gear. Funny thing about it was the temps never went below high 30's but the wind blew right through everythingI had to wear. The following year I had some of Cabelas best and was very comfortable.