Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spider Bull

Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Spider Bull

Saturday(the 16th) is the opener so we'll see how long he lasts?? As soon as he hits the ground everyone will know.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'm betting that he'll last a lot longer than most people think. There are only about two dozen total archery tags for this hunt, and while it opens on Saturday, I'm sure that more than a few of those hunters won't be there on the opener. I've got one of the tags, and I don't plan on getting there until August 30th. Not worried about hunting this bull, he'll either be alive or dead when I get there and nothing I do is going to affect that before I arrive. There are plenty of other great bulls on Monroe, so I am not worried in the slightest, whether this bull is still alive or not.

Hunting August 31-September 12, if I need that much time.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

My bet is he goes down during archery season. Too many know where he has been and no way they will let him excape
Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CAelknuts

I'm betting that he'll last a lot longer than most people think. There are only about two dozen total archery tags for this hunt, and while it opens on Saturday, I'm sure that more than a few of those hunters won't be there on the opener. I've got one of the tags, and I don't plan on getting there until August 30th. Not worried about hunting this bull, he'll either be alive or dead when I get there and nothing I do is going to affect that before I arrive. There are plenty of other great bulls on Monroe, so I am not worried in the slightest, whether this bull is still alive or not.

Hunting August 31-September 12, if I need that much time.
Man if i had one of that tags I would be up there, and I bet most of the guys that have it are saying the same thing. That bull will probably go at least 450" and while there are many nice bulls up there, there isn't any other bulls like this one anywhere.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Well, the way I look at it, I got a Monroe elk tag, not a spider bull tag. Yeah, he's an incredible bull, but it's going to be a circus with guys looking for him, and I think that detracts from the experience. If he's still alive, I'm betting that I'll have a better ELK hunt by not focusing on him like everyone else will be doing, and just trying to find some nice bulls to hunt.

I'm going back there to have an awesome elk hunt, and I'll certainly have that the way I'm doing it. We'll get there a little before the bulls start bugling much and will have a great time calling bulls in the morning and the evenings will either be spent sitting over water or calling elk, depending on the situation. Spider bull or not, I'll probably kill a very big bull, and the key for me is having a great hunt in the process. I probalby won't kill the biggest bull I've ever shot, but if I do it'll be a whopper. That doesn't matter to me as much as having a great elk hunt. If I get lucky and happen to find this famous bull, great, I'll hunt him; but I'm not worried about finding him, there's plenty of other awesome bulls on that unit. No matter how it ends, I'm going to get to play with a lot of mature bulls and have a chance to take a bigger bull than most guys will ever see while elk hunting.

It's gonna be fun!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

good lord he is huge
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 AM

This bull has a lot of attention, I've seen 3 different videos of him now. Word on the street is he's still out there but hasn't been seen since shortly after the opener. I guess he as to have a good hole to live long enough to get that massve!!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Unless someone got plain old lucky in the last day or so, this bull is still alive. What people who haven't been up on the unit fail to realize is that this unit has miles and miles of unbroken, thick timber. There are also some huge, deep and brushy canyons running off the top that aren't very far from where this bull, and many other bulls, spent the summer. If this bull was trying to avoid being seen, he'd certainly die of something other than an arrow or bullet. I doubt he has any understanding of how coveted he is, so he's probably just living his regular life which will still allow him to live his life out without being seen unless he gets caught out chasing cows during the rut.

There are, literally, many square miles of unbroken timber that you can't glass intoand which you can't practically hunt. I spent a lot of hours crawling through these blowdown jungles over the last two weeks, and often my archery shots would have been limited to under 25 yards. I had more than one nice 6 pt. bull at 40 yards, and could only see bits and pieces of the elk. This place isn't as easy to find one specific bull as most people think. There are also so many elk that most hunters will end up shooting a nice bull and not worrying about killing this bull. There were a few people who were focused on hunting him, like the governor's tag holder who was being guided by Doyle Moss and his guides, and after 12 days of hunting, they still hadn't seen hide nor hair of him. From what I was told by one of their guides, the last time they saw him was early August.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

what a bull... I also hope some young kid gets him.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM

RIP Spidey! Word is he scores around 488 net. Damn what a Pig!