Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting a bear with a knife

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Hunting a bear with a knife

Was reading an article about an MMA fighter and he had an interesting story about hunting bears with a knife.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...o-Part-2-13709

""On whether people really hunt bears with knives:
Emelianenko: Yes, they do. A few years ago there was an unfortunate incident. One sportsman, a world champion in wrestling … what was he doing? Yes, he was putting a fork under the bear’s neck. [The practice of hunting bears with a knife involves, once the bear is in front of you, placing a long stick with a letter U-shaped end under the bear’s muzzle as it rears up to fight. Once the stick is in place, the bear isn’t able to bring its body down and the hunter stabs it a number of times, ideally killing it instantly.]

And then the bear couldn’t attack him, and he was stabbing it under the ribs in the heart. And as he was stabbing it, that bear swung with its paw. It was dead already -- the paw was its last gasp with all its strength and basically took half of the wrestler’s head off. And of course the other hunters opened fire on the bear, but it was too late. He went to try his luck with a bear, and it didn’t come off.

For me everything is still fine. I’m OK. I’ve done it and it was OK. About half a year ago, it was in Russia, in Siberia. Everything was fine. I put the fork underneath him and stabbed him in the heart. And that was it. The other hunters dismembered, prepared the bear. ""

Is this technique really practiced?? I have looked on the net for references but could not find any. Maybe its just a practice in Siberia? Either way it sounds crazy and unbelievable, but possible at the same time. Hard to believe a stick can hold up the weight of a bear without breaking.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Default RE: Hunting a bear with a knife

I say your full of sh-t , a stick ha I like that one.

[/align]
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Here is one of the better responses I have gotten

Welcome to the internet generation, where if it's not on youtube or the net, it doesn't exist. Yes it is a real practice. And yes, it's limited to Sibera and the far eastern frontier. I've seen it on videos from one of my clients who is a Russian who took my friends on such a hunt. It was a practice learned from Tungistic people, it is not originally a Russian practice. There is a similar tradition in Japan amongst the Ainu.

It's not a stick. It's more like a metal pole with a spring loaded trap at the end. Second, it's not a knife, it's basically a three foot long sword. Usually they hunt smaller and younger bears. One person sets the trap, and plants it in the ground. Once it's fixed, the bear cannot back away or turn. then the hunter stabs the bear trying to avoid the paws. Usually, the bear grabs it's own neck when it hits the trap, exposing it's own body.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think you'e watching toomuch MMA...and CroCop is way past his prime now.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Kamil

I think you'e watching toomuch MMA...and CroCop is way past his prime now.
I can still be a fan of a fighter who isnt considered #1. Lots of great fighters are past their prime, but it doesnt take away their past accomplishments.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I think this would be a good way for a modern hunter to find out the very hard and violent way that he is no Davey Crockett.....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

I think this would be a good way for a modern hunter to find out the very hard and violent way that he is no Davey Crockett.....
you mean......im not davey???? lol boy that hurts lol