Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 Question?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .243 Question?

I recently aquired a Remington BDL .243, nice gun, I love it. I got it for my coyote gun, but have decided to use it for antelope also. I started off shooting some 80 grain federals that were shooting pretty good. My buddy gave me some 55 grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. I can't believe how accurate they are shooting from my gun. My question to you guys is...Is that grain big enough for antelope? I'm one of the guys that prefer a little over kill, but I got to believe that they would be fine. When I find a round that shoots that good, I hate to give it up. What's your thoughts?

Thanks Bryan
Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .243 Question?

80 grain enough? or 55grain? I'd say maybe to the 80s, my plan is to go with 90-100gr for antelope, though found a nice 85gr load I was considering.....or maybe 75gr....

buddy was using 95gr nosler partitions, they were going right through the antelope, my thinking is a 90-100gr soft point is the way to go, not sure about anything with less weight or thats super soft....

55gr i would assume would be a really soft bullet.

let me know though if you do use something under 90grs and the results....planning to break in my .243 on antelope this fall hopefully, wyoming tells me tomorrow I quite certain.

Also I want a bullet that'll do the job at 500yds.....those heavier bullets tend to hold their energy better I've found, slow down more slowly....

by the way if you're saying the 55grs are shooting way better than the 80grs? still may want to try some heavier bullets, who knows....or different 75-85gr load....

I think federal makes some HE high energy loads too, so maybe try or dont try those depending which version youre using.....may make a difference.

maybe try those winchester superemesin a heavier load....I think you'll find a very nice heavier load....

whats your barrel twist?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Salukipv!

My son has a New England Firearms .243 single action he uses for deer. This little number is very accurate and occasionally I'll take use it for yotes / deer.

For antelopes I would highly recommend the Federals 80 grain Seirra Game Kings. Shoots flatter then the 100 grain, yet will do a number on lopes / deer. 55 - 75gr are really intended for varmites / predators
Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

also what's good/great ? if good is 1/2moa and great is the same hole....I don't think I'd let that influence me much, but if the 80's are shooting 2" groups and the 55 are 1/2" that may suggest looking harder....

Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

55 gr bullet in 6mm is a varmint bullet. For big game I would suggest the 95 gr bst.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

That 55 grain BST is a varmint bullet and is designed to literally explode when it comes into contact with anything. It will work very well if you take neck and head shots but is extremely fragile for a body shot, especially if you hit a shoulder.

I would not use that bullet on a big game animal. Coyotes and smaller it is perfect.

Most any of the 80 - 100 grain bullets will do a very good job on antelope.

Federal makes several.
Blue box there is the 80 grain Speer hot core and 100 grain soft point.
Premium line you have 85 and 100 grain Sierra Game kings, 100 grain partition, 95 grain ballistic tip, and 85 grain Barnes TSX.

Hornady alsomakes several great loads. Starting at the 95 grain SST and down the page.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=29bbcfc593a67e8b8ef2fda6abe019a4&p age=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=f8cdc21a7d92383f 4cac817fa4c99e7a
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer something a little heavier than the 55 grains just to help with the bullet drift a little more (I know it's not much). I have used Hornady 95gr SST's that have worked very well. I have also shot Hornady 100gr BTSP's with good success, although they didhave more drop than theSST's.
Just as a side note I have not had very good luck with any of their light magnum loads, for some reason I could not get any kind of accuracy out of my rifles with them, yours might differ though.Good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to shoot it a few more times before I make a decision, but these rounds are shooting so good for me, I think I'll just stick to them. It looks like the .243 is gonna stay a yote gun, and I'll use my .270 for antelope. I shot it at 200 yards the other day. I'm headed up to the mountains in about a week, and we are going to move out to 300 and 400 yards. We are gonna be up there a few days and get in a lot of shooting. I should be able to make up my mind for sure.

Edit- I should add, I understand the 55 grains aren't gonna cut it.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Go with the 85 Grain BTHP from Federal.. It is wicked on deer and will really do a numbe on lopes.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

95 or 100 for deer and lopes. The 55 grainers are hell on wheels for squirrels and yotes. If you shoot 1 1/2 with the 95 or 100 thats great for deer and lopes, if the 55 grainers shoot 1 or less then your in business for squirrels. My tikka 243 loves the 70 grain ballistic tips for varmints, can shoot Quarters all day long at 100 if I do my job. I did take a small black bear with the 70 grainers with a heart shot, since that was the only load I had with me (bear died in its tracks, bullet entered and exploded in the cavity destroying most of the heart and lungs leaving no exit wound but a 1 foot circle of bloodshot under hide on opposing side), but would not have wanted to count on a clean kill with a larger bear or a non broadside shot.

Quick Reply: .243 Question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.