Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 Question?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Default RE: .243 Question?

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I recently aquired a Remington BDL .243, nice gun, I love it. I got it for my coyote gun, but have decided to use it for antelope also. I started off shooting some 80 grain federals that were shooting pretty good. My buddy gave me some 55 grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. I can't believe how accurate they are shooting from my gun. My question to you guys is...Is that grain big enough for antelope? I'm one of the guys that prefer a little over kill, but I got to believe that they would be fine. When I find a round that shoots that good, I hate to give it up. What's your thoughts?

Thanks Bryan
Bryan, I have never shot an Antelope but I can definitely agree with you on always wanting a little overkill! I will relate my story about a buck I shot 2 years ago with my .243 and you can draw your own conclusions. My dad gave me an old Parker&Hale .243 right before he passed and it was a beautiful gun and shot well and I wanted to shoot a deer with it. It shot 100 grain core lokts pretty well (1 1/2-2 inches at 100 yards) and although not stellar is decent. I double lunged a nice East Texas eight point with it at 60 yards and it ran about 80 yards and was still alive by the time I could lower my climbing tree stand and walk over there. I still plan to hunt with this rifle but want a hotter load. Maybe a different bullet? Hope this helps your decision. Maybe I can learn from this thread also.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Try another bullet.. I aint the caliber.. I have never had a problem with my deer walking off.. Try the 85 BTHP from Federal..
Old 06-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjwink

Try another bullet.. I aint the caliber.. I have never had a problem with my deer walking off.. Try the 85 BTHP from Federal..
Ah my friend, you state the obvious. That's what we are discussing on this thread.