Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Bighorn

Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana Bighorn

Anyone hunt unit 482 for sheep? The moon and sun aligned this year and actually drew here in Montana. Looking to obtain as much infoas I can before this fall. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Default RE: Montana Bighorn

Congats to ya. Where is that unit located? Maybe that will help get a few responses.

[/align]
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

482 is part of the Missouri River breaks, Fergus unit.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok I'm the first to say you suck! wow im jealous, but congrats! such an awsome tag!

that unit and the one across the river are both awesome and relatively easy DIY sheep hunts from what I've read as compared to the western MT sheep hunts.

should be looking for a 180"+ ram don't settle for less.

how many pts did you have built up? are you a resident or non resident?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the TAG! I've hunted in that general area for elk in the past... Actually didn't see any sheep while we were hunting, but then we weren't focusing on them either.

As was mentioned, the terrian isn't bad (as far as sheep hunting goes), but you'll certinaly want to get in as good of shape as you can by hunt time, those bluffs aren't as tall as the mountians, butare still VERY steep.

When you head into your area, bring plenty of water and gas (obviously food too) into camp with you -as it can be a pretty long trip out to restock, depending on where you end up hunting...

We saw a lot of rattlesnakes too, so keep that in mind as your walking around out hunting.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM

I hunted the breaks in the early 90s for deer, took a road down to an old ferry crossing and a farm on the banks of the river .The country is staight up when you are on the edge of the water.Saw sheep a couple of times ,2 or 3 hunded yards staight up hanging on the side of cliffs,I just couldn't believe it ,how do they get there and why puzzeled me. I thought if you shot one he would fall clear to the river. There is no way a dead sheep could hang on where there is only enough room for a hoof,where they lay down or eat I had no idea.They did have watering holes up high for the sheep ,That would be a good place to watch.You can't miss them they are large and made of concrete.Hope this helps andgood luck to you.

[/align]
Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info fella's. Ill keep an eye out for the snakes. Ive huntedin thebreaks alot in the past, just not in this area where the sheep tag is good for. I hear you on the getting in shape aspect. Ive been up in the areas north ofJordan mostly.
sal-think i had 8 points. Whatever the max points was I had. Was on the ground floor (max points)when Montana started the points program I got in on the first year. Im a resident. Just like anyone else whos' drawn a sheep tag, I never guessed I would draw and here I did.
With my work, Imlucky to be able to set my schuedule during the fall season. Ill beinmy unit as long as it takes to find a oldmatureram.
My goal this week is to start making phone calls to wardens, bio's, and other fish and game personal. If anyone has any further info that they would like to share, Im more than willing to hear it out. Thistag sure is a highlight of my hunting career.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

co-workers hubbie shot one last year that is narrowly not the state record...there are some monsters in there...do some SERIOUS scouting and you WILL get one that will make you proud tohave on your wall
Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

how possible/difficult would these be to bowhunt?

I know some bow guys get sheep with a bow, but many go on hunt after hunt for them with bows.

Also I'd rather shoot a monster with a gun, than just something ok with a bow, but most of all a monster with a bow....

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

MTdream, If its possible your co workers hubbie wants to give some info and he doesnt mind if I call him, PM his number. If not,I totally understand.In regaurds to the rifle/bow question. Yes a bow would be wonderful to use. These tags dont come along as you all knowvery easy,Ill be using my rifle. Been talking about this lots, its going to be a hunt that(knock on wood) thekill is going to be the anticlimatic part of the hunt. Just sheep hunting is going to be a thrill within it self being out there actually looking for sheep to hunt. After the kill (again knock on wood), thelongawaited sheep hunt will be over.

Quick Reply: Montana Bighorn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.