Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

outfitter info needed

Old 05-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Default outfitter info needed

I am considering a mule deer hunt in 09 with either Jackson Hole Outfitters or Greys River Trophies. Does anyone have experience with either? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: outfitter info needed

Haven't heard of either outfit, but just do your homework and check them out thoroughly before doing anything. I have been booking hunts here Colorado for the past 11 years and if people would just do some homework, there wouldn't be near the amount of people getting ripped off out there. If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to get ahold of me via my website at www.colorado-adventures.com I also have some excellent trophy mule deer hunts on the Eastern Plains of Colorado with tags available, so if you are interested give me a call. Good luck and good hunting!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found online an outfitter guide of questions to ask, google it....

essentially, call every reference on the list! most guys if not all will probably say they're great but you might hear otherwise. If they have no references be wary.

Find out about past 3 years success....overall, but more importantly your hunt....ie bow/gun, and your particular season.

Sometimes its hard to not be overwhelmed by the good pitch.....but I almost think the guy telling you how it is....is the better outfitter....some guys wil tell you they kill say 200" muleys all the time, whereas the other guy says if you get a 180" feel lucky. Sure you want the 200" but if its just BS that doesn't do you any good.

From personal experience I would ask about who will be your personal guide....not the outfitter/head of operation but your personal guide. I think on 1 hunt I got stuck the new guy/guide, not one of his normal go to's. Which I think wasn't good for me. I'd prefer a guide that hunts with the outfitter often, if not for him exclusively, not someone the outfitter called a month prior to your hunt...

Be annoying, ask stupid questions, not to you, but if you have a question, call him and ask. I think the more you talk to someone the more you can get a feel for someone.

Also shot opportunity is a big question of mine....though i think they tend to tell you you'll get a shot....I know its hunting, not killing, but all I can ask for is a shot opportunity.....if you miss then you have to live with it, can't blame anyone else, which is what I prefer.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Again, talk to your outfitter. Make sure you understand what type of services he/she will provide (1 on 1, 2 on 1, meat processing and shipping, equipement, transportation, meal, lodging, etc.)
Check the professional association if they belong to one.
Have a written contract with you or at least the web pages, something to backup your claim.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

No question is a stupid question!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always remember too that usually you get what you pay for. If most outfitters are charging X amount of $$$$ as an average for a certain type hunt and you find that lone outfitter who claims all the huge trophies but is still several 100$$$$ cheaper than all the rest; buyer beware.