Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need to learn how to cow call

Old 02-23-2003, 10:39 PM

Default Need to learn how to cow call

fellow hunters
I need some help in developing my skills using a cow call. I' m not sure when to use it. how to imitate the different sounds cows make. I want to be able to locate animals using a cow call and to talk with them when I' m near the herd. I can use a hyper hot cow call to call bulls, but some times they won' t talk and locating the herd can help. Most of mt hunting is in SW washington. Roosevelt elk country. They are not as vocal as the rocky mountain elk. At least thats been my experince so far. Is any one willing to help or get me going in the right direction.
Please advise
Mr . elk

[email protected]
Old 02-24-2003, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Need to learn how to cow call

Go to www.bowsite.com and do a search for elk calling...I found where they had a contest a while back and they had recorded cow and bull sounds. I call when I spook roosevelts and try to move in on them again like I am a cow catching up with them, it works sometimes.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Cow call when you make noise stalkin' , or to git a bull to answer or come to you, or to stop a bull thet' s headed off. I use my hand to control the pitch from high to low, like a meow. Dependin' on when you use it, one call or a few in succession is good. Vary the level an' intesity dependin' on the use as well. A mournful, long meow is a hot cow, or a lost one. Short calls sounds like a cow callin' a calf or tryin' to locate the herd. Two shorts an' one long means " I cain' t find the alph-alpha stack Leroy said was ' round here, can any of you come help me?"
Old 02-24-2003, 11:02 AM

Primos has a pretty decent instructional cassette with cow calling.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

The cow calls you need to become familiar with are the- Lost cow call- Hyper hot or cow in heat cow call- Demanding cow call- Excited cow call- Social or herd talk cow call- alarm cow call- and the bark, this one you don' t want to imitate. Click on my Web site at bottom of post and you' ll hear the lost cow call being demonstated on Tip of the week page. Tomorrow morning you' ll hear Cow in heat call. I' ll show you what they sound like as well as when to use them. Hope this helps. elknut1.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:22 PM

Since I have no affiliation with the site or elknut, I can tell ya that elknut has vides/cd' s/and tapes that would help you immensely.

http://www.elknut.com/Our_Products.html

Hope this helps,

Chad
Old 02-24-2003, 09:34 PM

elknut 1
Can you give me some information on which brand of cow calls work better for the different types messages the cow are sending whether it be a lost cow call,calf call cow in heat etc. do your videos discuss what brand of call works better for the different types of cow talk or bull talk?

mr. elk
Old 02-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

mr.elk

I own many different brands of cow calls, I don' t see one out performing the other, it' s all in the hands of the user and his ability and desire to practice. The Hyper hot call you have now will perform as well as any, I too use a hyper hot call made by Wood wise and have no problems with making any sounds a cow will make, primos hyper lip single also has good tones. I also describe in my videos which calls I use whether I' m bugling or cow calling. These videos will leave you with no doubt how to use your call to make all cow sounds as well as a bulls sounds and when to use them. elknut1
Old 02-28-2003, 07:08 PM

mr. elk,

I too bow hunt SW Wash. State for elk.

Email if you want to BS.

These guys passed on some good ideas. What I' ve learned about calling is that no matter what sound you' re making, sometimes it works, sometimes it don' t. Experimenting during the season can result in some heartbreaks, but you' ll never know if you don' t give it a whirl. On the other hand, calling is another way of alerting the animals to your presence, and possibly spooking them. I' m not sure what my point is, but I don' t call at all most of the time unless I have some reason to believe it will work (hot bull) or no other option to get close.

BK