Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY area suggestions for Montana Elk / Deer

Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Default DIY area suggestions for Montana Elk / Deer

I drew an Elk / Deer combo and was going to go with a friend on a guided hunt but he unfortunately was not as lucky in his lottery chance. Not to let the opportunity go to waste we decided this will be our first elk hunt with deer as the bonus. We opted for a DIY with my buddy along to video for future reference. As you would suspect this isn't going to go well so we need evidence for legal purposes. (LOL )

We found that the public forest lands can accomodate the place to camp (thanks to a call to the local ranger) and the Lewis and Clark National Forest lands sprinkled around the state have good populations and success ratios per FWP population density maps. We had not ordered topo maps yet and are obviously in the initial research stage. We also know nothing can replace field experience but we have the inclination to do this and if we gather enough data it may actually turn out better than expected.

I heard the that the Snowy's and the Judith range may fit the bill. So, my question to the world is.....if you have experience in Montana and where going to hunt a Do-It-Yourself option, what area would you go? I realize that there are a million questions so base the suggestion on the premise that we will camp in the public forest areas and hike in with the only elk experience gained from a ton of reading and TV. Mule deer we had done in the north east section of Montana and were successful. Forget the camping and pack out portion as that we have a handle on.

I am optomistic but being realistic makes all else look better in the end. Ok world, have at it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DIY area suggestions for Montana Elk / Deer

I'd hunt prior to peak rut.......

IMO by time of the rut, most good bulls are hung up with their cows, they may come in.....semi close but not bow close......hunting earlier they should be vocal and more apt to come in when theyre notyet with all their cows or any.

Rut you'll hear the most but will you see/shoot have chances to?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the reply.....I have heard that regarding the rut and somewhat rings true for deer depending on who you speak with. Good reminder and thank you.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Being a former Montanan and having did a DIY bowhunt last year in the Big Belts I can tell you that you must have at least a couple spots scouted out at least from a mapping standpoint. The wild fires can completely blow your plans. We had a tough hunt.. got into some elk but they were on private range land.. got some mule deer. Get yourself in really good cardio condition and be prepared for any weather. That $600 elk tag didn't taste too good. [8D]
Old 05-01-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks Fishm@n

I heard the fires effected some areas and what you're saying makes sense. As far as cariod programs go, I hadn't heard a single elk hunter that didn't say the same thing so I've been forewarned. Now lets see if I can stick to a plan.

Appreciate the good word, I'll add it to the pile. !! Thank You