Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaskan pipeline/side arms

Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Alaskan pipeline/side arms

AK Jeff, I figure you're probably the man withthe answers, but all feel free to "pipe" in . . . Since it isillegal to hunt with a firearm within 5 miles if the pipeline, is it therefore also illegal to possess a sidearm for griz protection? Anyone here ever had an encounter with a grizzly in/near Prudhoe Bay?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaskan pipeline/side arms

There's no restrictions on possessing any kind of firearms in the vicinity of TAPS (Trans Alaska Pipeline System). The five mile corridor is only north of the Yukon River bridge and TAPS goes all the way to Valdez. The corridor is 5 miles either side of the Dalton Hwy, not the pipeline. In some places the pipeline is a long ways from the highway. The corridor isn't to protect the pipeline, it's to keep the caribou from getting massacred from the Dalton. There used to be a ton of grizzlies around Prudhoe, but the combination of better trash control and a trigger happy biologist a few years ago really thinned them out. I only saw one up there all last year when I was working up there and I've never had any real encounters with them other than seeing them haul ass the other direction. While you can carry a firearm, be prepared to have the Troopers scrutinize the heck out of you especially if you harvest something. I honestly don't think you need one, as it's more than likely going to cause you more headache than it'll provide in safety benefits. My hunting partner killed a grizzly with his bow on the slope last spring and he wasn't even carrying a backup weapon. He came out of it just fine.

AK Jeff
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Once again, you are the man . Much appreciated sir!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Once again, you are the man . Much appreciated sir!
I think the guy with the big brass oneshunting a griz with a bow and no backup is the man.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags
I think the guy with the big brass ones hunting a griz with a bow and no backup is the man.
I don't think I'd call that guy the man. Gotta question his intelligence.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Hunted Prudhoe Bay the last 2 years. Some guys bow hunt and some rifle out the 5 mile limit in our group. Nobody in our group has seen grizz. But several of the other groups of people not hunting with us have. Most just gave them a wide area. Only heard of one batch of two guys getting chased somewhat by a sow with cubs. That was what the State Trooper told us... Fun but tough hunt....

Goatslayer........