Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
BKC

Default RE: Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

so you are saying I will have to wear a orange vest and I cant get away with just a orange hat, that is all I own is a orange stocking cap and a orange baseball cap or should i buy some orange camo outer
Old 04-19-2008, 01:18 PM

144 square inches of orange during rifle season.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:24 PM

I do not know how the non-resident tags work for draws, but two good areas that come to mind are the Bob Marshel Wilderness area in the west, and the Missouri Breaks in the north east. You could also try Lima Peaks in SW Montana. The Bob is a great place for horses if you can get a tag. Lima Peaks is a general draw tag, but the mule deer tags are special draw for most of the areas. It is also a good area for horses, but is not as vast as the Bob. I do not know much about the Breaks, but I know some huge elk come out of there including two records by Chuch Adams.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

The requirement is400 square inches of blaze orange, above the waist, visible from all sides, so unless you're wearing a big ass hat you have to wear more. Most people wear a vest or coat. You'll get ticketed if all you wear is a hat.

Rifle permitsin the Breaks have extremely low odds of drawing and unless things have changed recently the Bob doesn't requirea special permit. Chuck Adams has done most of his hunting southeast of the Breaks, including the P&Y world record bull he shot a few years back. The Breaks are known more as an archery destination, and not so much for rifle because it's so hard to draw the rifle permits.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 PM
BKC

I thought my out of state combo tag will let me hunt any where? public and private if i have permission. Like I said my first time in Montana and have not got the regs

by the way one of the team mates dose have a huge head it just might be 400 inch's when its covered we called him baby big head when he was born now when we call him its just head come here head or head go get that, you get the jist..................lol
Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Your tag is good for both public and private lands, however its ageneral tag and you can only hunt units that are general areas. Areas such as the breaks or custeryou must obtain the specialrifle tag.Units of the eastern half of the state are pretty much special unitsfor elk and other selected areas elsewhere in the state are special areas too. Same goes for deer, certain areas are special units.If you want to hunt those units a person must obtain the general tag first which you already have done, now you are able to apply for the special units if you wish. If not or you dont draw the specials, you can hunt any general area.Just as in alot of the other states, lot of states have the general areas and special areas. Montana does it differntly though where you have to get thegeneraltag before being able to evenapply for a special unit. Looks like from the hunter orange and hunting areas question, you need to get your hands on the reg's and read them carefully before you head out this season. Hopefully the private lands you plan to hunt isa general unit so you dont have to worry about drawing a special unit tag. I re read your first post and you said the North east.Is that correct? If so, thats prya unit with in the breaks and you will need to draw a specialunit tag to hunt elk. Your deer tag you can hunt off the general tag in most of the breaks but the elk is a differnt story. You should have it made though if your hunting a general area, 25,000 acre ranch in elk country. Should be a good time. Is this a private ranch that restricts hunting pressure or is this a ranch thats signed up in the block management program that allows hunting to the general public? If they allow a fair number of hunters access the property during hunting season, I would suggest getting into elk shape this summer and beprepared to walksome distanceas those elk will be pushed back from the 4 wheel drive trails you talked aboutby the time you hit the mountains.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:48 PM
BKC

No they do not allow any hunters that are not invited this year besides family and the three of us so farthey have some friends from back east that were there last year all got bulls we are hunting area 104 I just got my mail and i had theMontana Hunting deer elkantelope2008 regs so I guess I have to start reading but the family that owns the land say we are good to go where i the reg dose explain about spec unit tag? I will watch for your post. Beech18Thank you for the help so far I hope you don't mind my rookie questions like I said hunted all overbut the great state of Montana
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

You can look everything up you want from the Montana's fish and gameweb site. They have a hunt planner where you can plug in your hunting district and you'll get unit info. I just did a quick look for 104. Just some info such as harvest stats (if the numbers are right 70 residents killed bulls and 23 non residents last season from unit104), population info (post season estimates 800 elk in 104). This would be a good starting point to check on your hunt. Ihavent hunted unit 104 to know exactly what its like.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
BKC

beech18

Like I said before we were invited to hunt my friend fathers ranch and it in 104 he is going to put us up and feed us (hunt with us hopefully) he get pretty old he saysbut I didnt understand the part aboutwe have to draw for speciel hunt's is that area one of thoseareas???
Old 04-19-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

The requirement is400 square inches of blaze orange, above the waist, visible from all sides, so unless you're wearing a big ass hat you have to wear more. Most people wear a vest or coat. You'll get ticketed if all you wear is a hat.
Good thing I always wear a vest. I guess I need to check the little things in the regs a little more than every 18 years (since getting my first license).
Thanks for setting that straight.

Quick Reply: Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.