Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Checklist

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Big Game Checklist

Planning a DIY elk/mule deer hunt for 2009 in Co. Looking for a checklist of items for a party of 4-5 hunters. We've received some detailed info from some friends who have been doing it for years, just looking for any advice and equipment you guys can supply.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big Game Checklist

Are you going backpack hunting staying on the mountainor walking back to your truck everyday staying in a motel, drop camp, horses....what kind of trip are you proposing? Might be good to put your list up on here and let the guys on the forum pick apart your list with whats needed and whats not, and if theres anything you should consider getting thats missing depending what kind of trip your looking to do.... Do you want items for just the hunt itselfor the camp too? What season are you going? Weapon? Need more info to provide good help to you.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget my invitation.... considering a archery mule deer hunt there this year, though with talk of winter kills I'm going to postpone a year I think, plus I plan to hunt wy antelope.

depends on when etc.....safety comes to mind.....cell phone range extender? if you get stuck in the woods, be sure you can keep yourself alive, heater etc...foood?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a huge favor and purchase Cameron Hanes guide to backcountry bowhunting. You will find everything that you need to know and then some......
Old 03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ordered that Book. It was 50.00 on amazon .com but cabelas had it for 25.00. Hopefully doin' a little backcountry bowhuntin myself this year...just wish I could find some decent partners[8D]
Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hillbilly, you will not be disappointed in what Cameron shares with all of the readers. I do alot of bivy hunting and this guy is the real deal!!!! I have a list stored on my computer if you are interested I can e-mail it to you.... I can also e-mail it to you FOP. If you are headed out for elk, click the link to my site on my signature, on the left you will find a link to Elknuts site. Hands down this is the best instructional video on the market!!!