Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

oryx hunting in NM

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: oryx hunting in NM

colorado,do they give you all the maps you need or should I purchase any others?We are both planning on using a 7mag and will practice on life size target.Alot of this rifle hunting is different for me because I bow hunt.My daughter is 12 and has harvested deer and turkeys but I want to do her right and have had a couple outfitters email me,just hate to kick out another 1500.00.Any other advise is welcome
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Maps-----------The maps you will get are pretty useless. They will show the hunt boundaries & the "Keep Out" zones. Keep Out zones have unexploded ammuntion, they will tell you over & over don't pick up anything. I guess someone picked up a shiny metal object & it explodes in his hand. You can't buy any maps of the area---it's a military base. On the Stallion Range I like the foothills to the east & I also like about 10 miles south of the gate & then up into the foothills. The maps they give you show the roads & trails----it's really all you need.

Your 7 mag is good. Use 160 grain bullets-----Partitions. The package the DOW sends you in the mail---shows the kill zone on the oryx. Use the black racing strip on their body---line it up with the shoulder & it should be right on the heart. You have to shoot thru the shoulder---not behind like a deer. The heart & lungs are further forward on African game.

You don't need a guide. You'll see oryx, many from the paved roads. I like the foothills because I could get a little higher & glass. That way you can do a little spot & stalk.

Are you taking anyone to help you? They are pretty big animals & it usually takes 2 men to load them into the truck.

Keep asking, I'll try & answer. CB

Another site to maybe meet up with & hunter with a tag is www.monstermuleys.com & www.24hourcampfire.com
Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Have her start shooting off "shooting sticks"-----there are not many trees to get a rest on. Shots may be long 100 yards out to 300. Mine was about 150. my buddy's was pushing 200.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks,I will be using a tripod shooting sticks and probably leave the harris bipod on also,yes I have a person lined up to take the next weekend on my hunt but hopefully will have another guy for my daughters also.Did you have any problem driving to pick up animal or is 4wheeler better
Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You, or her, will blast one! I'm confident. I hear ya about the tag fee, one big reason I'm not applying for the tag just yet, rather go after some local species, also figure I might just pick one up when I'm in african anyway. Never been big on exotics...not sure why just seems to loose the allure when i see a texas aoudad sheep hunt etc... though NM ibex peak my curiosity a lil bit, and so do oryx, I just think down the road when I've taken other game I may consider oryx, ibex etc....also its a once in a lifetime tag, so I want to go when I know I can hunt them and take one.....maybe get a guide etc....would hate to waste a once in a lifetime tag, they do have the broken horn tags which I think you can only draw if you havent taken an oryx, and then you can also shoot a full horned oryx as wel. but not the other way around. I guess some are on private land thougha nd those you can hunt more than once, but of course I'm assuming that tag costs more or the gain access does.....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

salukipv------Off range hunts can be done on BLM land, the problem with that is--it's see one--shoot it. They come off the White Sands, then back on the base etc. There is not near the number as on the base---pretty expensive gamble @ $1600 just for the tag. If you want to do a broken horn hunt---do it before your "once in a lifetime" tag. I killed my bull in 04-----it was "once in a lifetime" hunt---so I can't do another hunt on the White Sands, even for a broken horn. You got that right. It's a fun hunt----wished they had a broken horn hunt when I apllied but they didn't. But I drew on my 1st try, back then the NR had 10% of the tags. It was easier for a NR to draw than a Res. But they changed that everyone is grouped together now.

habitat-----Leave the 4 wheeler. The base has special rules about insurance, license, helmets, etc. They are really good about letting you drive up to the animal after it's down. I walked in front of my buddy's truck to guide him around stumps, rocks, metal objects etc. Their feeling were "It is a bomb range, what can you tear up that bombs won't"-----Kind of makes sense. I would take a come-a-long & maybe a plank. That was you candrag it into hte bed of the truck. As far as horn length----mine was 39 1/4"----he was the 2nd biggest on my hunt. Looked like a 34" to 36" is about the norm. I forget if the fee to the White Sands is in your mailing form the DOW or if the White Sands sends it to you. Anyway, it was $100 when I went. It has a dead line on when your have to send it in---I did mine the day I got it---Don't procrastinate. If you are late, your S.O.L. Also make sure you taker proof of insurance on your truck. No cameras or booze(beer)---they WILL search your truck at the gate---if they find it---your S.O.L.

The early morning briefing from the DOW starts an hour before daylite. It will be in hte package from the DOW. Go to it----You'll be in for a good fun after it's over. Guys are running to their trucks, you'll think it's the start of the Daytona 500. We just sat there watching him "peel" out of the parking lot. In 10 minutes we left----had to laugh.

Watch the weather forecast. You only have 2 days. If it's calling for high winds, rain, snow----the oryx don't like it. They will bed down in the arroyos. If bad weather is called for---maybe you should not be as picky.

CB

Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Dang my spelling & grammar. Should have proof read it.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Bit of history, you can drive up to the Trinity site. A-bomb test site for WWII. CB
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oryx are striking animals. How was the meat Bob?? That is one exotic hunt that I think I would really like. What do the tags cost now?? 1600?? that's a chunk. Did you get yours mounted Bob?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Hillbilly--
It's excellent table fare. I had a shoulder mount done----90* turn. Pretty sure the tags are $1600 for a NR plus $100 for the White Sands Missile Range. You should apply---it only $8 for an appliciation fee. Your credit card isn't charged unless you draw. Only apply for an on range hunt. Once in a lifetime tag. Your too far away for a broken horn or off range hunt--IMO.

As far as the $1600----I'm getting to old for wishing. I don't want an armored truck following my hearse to the cemetery. CB

Quick Reply: oryx hunting in NM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.