Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muzzle Brakes

Old 02-13-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Muzzle Brakes

Hello,

When I get my new rifle (most likely its going to be a fast 30 caliber) I am probably going to put a muzzle brake on it. What are some effective types of brakes that aren' t too ear splittingly loud. One I' m curious about is a brake by David Gentry, called the quiet brake.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Muzzle Brakes

Robert
Do you know how loud his muzzle brakes are compared to others? Is there a compromise between the noise and recoil in his design? And how much does he charge? Thanks for any information.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the info about the Gentry brake! Another one I was looking at was the Answer System brake. I have read good things about it, too.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Quiet brake on a real light 300 win mag a few years back and it worked great and the installation was first rate. I have also seen an answer system brake installed a few years back on a Ruger 77 SS and it was a beautiful installation. You have to experience louder sound levels that is the nature of the beast but some are not so loud or harsh as others(Boss system comes to mind).
Old 02-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last price I heard is $150 for a rifle that doesn' t already have a muzzle brake. I am thinking of sending him my present KDF brake. You just send only the brake since your rifle would already be threaded. He charges $90 to make only the brake. He has to have the old one to match the threads, but he sends that back to you as well.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:00 PM

one of the things that you might consider is a different kindof break.i have a 45.70 that thge gunsmith put a pistol break on it. it is alot quieter and has more of a thump. not near as lous as a regular break.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is a pistol brake? Also, you said it has more of a thump. How much do you think it reduced the recoil?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM

the muzzle break is not as big or long as the rifle break. it is a screw on that looks like an extension of the barrell.the recoil is greatly reduced and does not have that hard kick.you can shoot the 405gr much easier.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Body weight has a big impact on bein' able to shoot with recoil. Rather than a muzzle brake dohickey, jus' invest in some bacon an' pork chops. Keep a jar of the grease on yer stove, an' cook everthin' else in it. I been slow to git in on this topic cause I' m biased. Thet' s right, I ain' t allays so open-minded as yall come to ' spect. I had a feller shoot a 300 Weatherby with a brake whilst I was in his blast zone. He had plugs on, so I couldn' t even git his attention thout spookin' the critter. Now I got a ringin' thet ain' t ever gonna go away. Any gizmo thet requires you to use another gizmo in yer ear to be able to shoot it safely is jus' one too many gizmos in my book. Go with moderate cartridges, an' eat more pork.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Brakes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.