Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is a 30-06 rifle good for all N.American game?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is a 30-06 rifle good for all N.American game?

Yes, the .30-06 is sufficient for all North American game. Evidence for my statement can be obtained by a statistical/historical inquiry into records of game kills. It is plain hard to argue with success. I'm not saying there aren't better cartridges for specific game, I'm not saying a .338 Win Magnum isn't better all-around (though a bit heavy for deer and pronghorn), butthe .30-06is sufficient.

Of course we don't know what is on your mind and what the context of your question is. If you are wondering whether this is a good cartridge for your first big game rifle, my answer would be an unreserved YES and I would argue with just about anyone who recommended anything other. With only a .30-06 in your rack, you can confidently hunt all big game in the lower 48 states. If you are going on a Kodiak bear hunt, you are likely not a beginning hunter (probably more than one rifle in your rack) and you probably have some monetary reserves, so go buy an additional rifle -- such as a .338 Win Magnum. Most people can shoot the .30-06 without flinching; above this level of power, some people start to get fidgety, particularly inexperienced shooters who got too powerful a rifle for their first rifle. When you begin collecting specialized rifles -- .25-06 for pronghorn hunting, .338 Win Magnum for elk hunting -- you may still want to have the .30-06 around as a back-up rifle or for use by a friend who you want to bring along on a hunt. Ammunition for the .30-06 used to be the most heavily sold, and hence the most commonly available, big game ammunition. If you leave your cartridges at the house on the coffee table, you can find appropriate .30-06 cartridges in the middle of nowhere. There are a lot of good reasons to choose the .30-06 as your first rifle.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is a 30-06 rifle good for all N.American game?

If the 30-06 had gotten the publicity that Jack O'Connor gave the 270 there would be no question. Variety is the spice of life. But then again it does speak for itself, doesn't it.
[quote]
ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

its the most overrated round ever, its a deer cartridge, and its ok at that. 150grains, deer, done.

Skip the '06 and get yourself a few rifles of different calibers, none of them being a '06

[/blockquote]

LOL Someone smoke their lunch?

I think $ 5.00 worth should hold us over for a while.