Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Velocity or weight?

Old 02-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Velocity or weight?

Where I hunt I match my bullet to the animal. For example deer, I like fast, flat bullets usually BT style. For Moose and Elk I would rather have energy, so a slower bullet with max. punch. That being said I am not a believer in 200 grain leads works better for moose or elk, in my experience 160-180 well constructed bullet will get the job done just fine.

I rarely base my bullet selection on numbers published but rather by range, effectiveness, game and what shoots the best out of the rifle I intend on using.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Energy to be expended to damage vital organs increases at a proportional rate with increase in slug weight; however, energy increases exponentially to the rate of increase of velocity. Higher velocity kills more effectively.

Although as stated earlier, either weight or velocity taken to an extreme defeats itself at some point. You just have to find the right balance between these 2 main variables for whatever game you are using it for.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

[>:][:@][>:][:@] Thinkin hard aren' t ya?

I shoot a .30-06, which is a fast medium weight bullet, and a .44 mag, which is a slow heavy bullet, not to mention my .45-70' s! I' ve also used .25-06' s and a few 7mm' s, and I much prefer the slower heavyweights to the speedballs. Don' t get me wrong, I love fast flat shooters on hunts I think I' ll really shoot out there a long way and on paper, but if a guy really thinks about it, the heavier bullets gonna retain more energy down range than the faster lighter bullets. Brick fallin on your foot from four inches (VERY low velocity) will hurt a lot more than a marble fallin on your foot from even four feet (much much greater velocity). I' ve shuddered deer with 7mms, then they fall, but at similar practical hunting ranges, the .45-70 bullet knocks them over, it really is like they got hit by a truck.

Energy transfer in big bullets is also much better, since they are much wider. I shoot very hard bullets in my .45-70, and they don' t deform much goin through a deer, and I can usually eat right up to the hole unless I hit the shoulder, where as with 7mm' s I used medium construction bullets that did a lot of damage and didn' t kill as quickly. The hole is big enough in itself that it doesn' t need a drastically expanded wound tract to make a quick kill, while with light bullets too hard of bullet/too small of wound tract would leave a lung shot deer to run a half mile.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Energy transfer is dependant on the volume of the wound channel that the bullet makes.The largest wound chanels that I have seen were made with fast expanding bullets at high velocity.A large slow moving bullet that does not expand much actually makes a smaller wound channel than a faster moving but smaller diameter bullet that expands to a much greater diameter.As for the silly analogy about the brick and marble let us compare their weights.The brick would probably weigh a couple of pounds compared to an ounce for the marble.So in other words the brick probably weighs 30 times that of the marble.For this analogy to be accurate the heavier bullet would therefore have to weigh 30 times that of the lighter bullet.If the lighter bullet was 150gr which is a common weight the larger bullet would weigh 4500gr. How many people use a 4500gr bullet?The analogy doesn' t really make much sense does it?Giving a person the choice of being hit in the chest with a 150gr bullet fired by a 30-06 or a baseball thrown by hand would be just as accurate.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:56 PM

For equal energy I would take the heavy bullet based on the results Ive seen. Provided the light one was less than about 200 grains.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:48 AM

im a heavy and " slow" . something like a 35whelen its not ultra slow or ultra big. but i think a very nice cartridge
Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy - You may prefer heavy and slow slug, but your example about the brick and marble is not based on Physics. Two objects regardless of weight and size dropped from the same height will travel at the same velocity and strike your foot or ground at the same time. (Aside from the resistance of air.) So in a vacuum, even a feather and a brick or piano will travel at the same velocity dropped to the ground. Don' t you remember one of the guys who went to the moon tested this law of Physics with a hammer and a light object (maybe it was a feather) there?

I think in order to test your theory you' d have to make some test shots in a material similar to an animal' s body. I think without question if you compared the effects of a slow heavy slug like a vintage .50+ caliber muzzleload to a 180 or even 150 grain ultra magnum load you' d be amazed at the greater damage the ultra magnum or other high velocity load would cause.

Or if you want to stick with your brick and a smaller weight object example. To make it a good analogy you' d have to drop the brick from waist high on a target and a golf ball from 300 yards high (where the velocity of the ball would be greater). Don' t drop it on your foot through, it might put you in a cast for awhile.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about medium wieght and medium velocity? I know its not very " fashionable" but it is exactly what worked for many years. Before that it was slow and heavy. The rage today seems to be light and fast. Dead is dead.
The fact is that it is a combination of more than 2 factors. It is bullet wieght combined with bullet construction with an appropriate velocity for the job at hand. Fact is for most all north american biggame hunting velocities from 2400 fps to 2900 fps in bullet wieghts of 130 - 180 will suffice nicely when the hunter does his job.
Shoot whatever you like and whatever does the job for you.