Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

8X vs. 10X binoculars FOV?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 8X vs. 10X binoculars FOV?

I currently have some 10x43 and was considering getting some 8x43,same brand, frame etc....but when comparing FOV @1000yds, I noticed was 315ft vs 330ft. I was considering 8x hopefully to reduce eyestrain, and have a larger field of view...less scanning etc....but at 1000yds only 15ft difference? 10x are 25% more than 8x yet only like 15ft more view? that's like only 5% more FOV and that's at 1000yds!

Why get 8x if all they are is less powerful with the same field of view?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 8X vs. 10X binoculars FOV?

Well first off eye stain isn't related to power of your bins but more so to the quailty of glass and more specfically the coatings used. For example my 8x43 pentax SP gave me more eye strain then my 10x swaro el's. The pentax areno slouchesbut they just can't touch the EL's optically.

As to why 8x less critical to hand shake, easier to find target (especially close range), they transmit more light, lesser quality bins show less optical flaws at lower power, etc.Weight, styling and the fact most people don't use bins for truly long range are other reasons why7 and 8x are popular and available. Personally unless your willing to pay 500or upfor bins I would suggest 8x's. If your budget allows you to get to say 550-650 check out cameralandny I just received an email today about some SHOT specials on bins.Doug has Minox HG's for around 550 on sale, i picked up a pair of 10x43's for my Dad last year and they are very nice for this price. He also lists some Vortex razors models though I can't recall the price off hand.I haven't had a lot of eye time with these but what iI have had they aresimilar to Minox performance. However from some of the reportsI have seen from guys who have really gave them a look over they may even be a touch better...Swaro feel/look to them. IfI could convince my walletI need to buy a pair I would just b/c. I would like to see how they stack up.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eye strain is dependent on the alignment of the lenses,if the binoculars are phase coated(roof prisms),and glass and coating quality.The higher the quality,the less the eye strain.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone even know how the FOV is determined? Certainly not by the first or second numbers in the designations: Here is an example. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0044455712728a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCHFEAT&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=binoculars&N=4887&a mp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&am p;Ntt=binoculars&noImage=0

This has 8x42 adn 10x42 that are much more different than the above example in spite of being virtually the same "powers" A lot at other brands shows the same disparity. On the surface, you would think that all 10X 42 binoculars would have the same FOV, but that is not the case. Even saw an 8 X 32 that had a FOV of over 400 ft! Not sure what determines the FOV, but it is certainly not those two numbers.

Bottom line, is that if you want a bigger FOV, you probably need to check out other brands.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 10x43 Pentax DCF SP. Maybe I'll win the swaro's, if not down the road maybe I'll have to invest.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really liked my pentax's however I noticed eye strain when spending a lot of time looking through them scouting over the past couple of years as well. I told myself the EL's weren't even a possibility but spending a week with a pair I fell in love. So DON'T LOOK through them. I wasordering Dad'sMinoxfrom Doug at cameralandny but then i had to open my mouth, he felt the line twitch and set the hook. I was actually going to buy the Zeiss Conquests(darn nice to my eyes)but heyI am sucker for the word "deal" and ended up with a visa bill for Minox and Swarovski's[&:]. I saved a fair chuck from what they run here so it wasn'tall bad[]

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does anyone even know how the FOV is determined?
FOV is achieved by the curvature of the objective lense. Basically, the more "round" the outside of the lense is the wider the field of view will be.

If a binocular says it is a 10X42 that mean sit has 10 times magnification and the objective lense diameter is 42mm.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

"FOV is achieved by the curvature of the objective lense.

So, does that mean that the wider the field of view, the more "fish eye" it will appear? In other words, if you are comparing two binocs of the same designation, would you be getting a less distorted view if you pick the one with the smaller FOV?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

If all things are equal then I would say yes. But the difference in 10 - 20 feet at 1000 yards your eye wouldn't notice and difference.