Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

325 WSM 30/06 Or 300 Win Mag

Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 325 WSM 30/06 Or 300 Win Mag

I have to go with the majority here in recommending the 30-06. There's not a big game cartridge in North America that has put down more game than the 30-06. One of the most versatile cartridges you'll find.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 PM

I own all the calibers and brands you mentioned. My recommendation for a first big game rifle for you would be a reliable '06 with 165 - 180 gr. bullets. As for brands, you can't go wrong with a Remington, but the Savage will shoot just as well for alot less money. I usually buy my firearms used so that I get the best of both, quality and affordability. Just have to be patient until the right deal comes along. It always does. Guns are like wives, some guys trade them in on a new one every two or three years. Others wait to pick the perfect one and keep her for a lifeime.

Regards, & Good Huntin',
LlindeX
Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coming from a thirteen year old , the 300 WSM is a AWESOME gun for just about everything. I have dropped elk,deer (both mule and whitetail)and about everything inbetween. . . . although i haven't shot a moose . . . YET... O and go with a Browning A-bolt trust me. its an awesome gun
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Considering your age, I would recommend a hard look at the 30:06, of your three choices. But, my family has lived and hunted in B.C. for decades and have killed moose, deer and bear successfully with .308. 180 grains is always a winner. Remington core-lokts can be bought almost anywhere. Think about the savage model 99 lever or the blr lever. Really nice to pack and nice to shoot. Optics? I would look at the Nikon 3-9 or Bushnell Elite 3-9. I've had great luck with both. Bottom line, pick a rifle that you can place the bullet accurately with. Everything else is incidental to that.