Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado elk 2008 archery

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: colorado elk 2008 archery

I usually hunt starting Labor Day weekend and we get into bugling bulls so the first week should be ok. The rut kicks in a little later, but I've had good luck calling bulls in close because the cows weren't ready yet. I think you will be fine either week, just be prepared to enjoy the hunt whether or not you kill a bull. The success rate is about 20% for archery which means 80% go home empty handed. There is nothing like hunting in the rockies, so enjoy the experience! Get in shape!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
car
Typical Buck

When they tell you to get in shape they really mean it! It's not to earlyto start now. At least you wont be backpacking in. That is really tough on us flatlanders.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still confused, haha, but ya id choose pre rut over post rut/pressured/hunted. Also they still have all their tines etc.....no cows grouped up with, more curious maybe.....my NM guide loved the 1st week down there.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Spike

You'll have a great time,no matter what week you go. I've been labor day week 3 times and got in to bugling bulls 2 weeks. The 1 week we didn't it was a full moon,and it was real slow. I've been the week after muss. season last year. There was alot more pressure on them,they already had cows . I will be going back labor day week this year. The whole season has fell back 5 days this year. 2week is the time i like to go.Not been alot of pressure on them.
Bill
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I hunted w/Winterhawk archery Sept. 06. I had a fabulous time. Wasn't successful, but when I left I was so satisfied I didn't care. Of course a Elk been nice, but only been a bonus. I'm going back this Sept. all booked & set. I can tell you anything you want to know. Feel free to personally e-mail me w/any questions.
Far as the wks. 1st wk you risk warm temps, and chance of the Bulls not being in full rut. But you also get first crack of the season at them. 4th wk should be in full rut, and get to experience all that action & bugling. But you risk colder, and possible snow. When I booked in 06' I was faced with the same decision for wks, and chose the 4th. The weather was up & down on us, and got some snow. So made it tough. So its a guessing game.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
car
Typical Buck

This is a few things that I would think about.

FIRST WEEK

The first week the weather can be pretty warm.
The elk will be calmer the firstweek.
If the outfitter has done his scouting he should be able to put right on the elk the first day or so.
Not as much hunting pressure.
Pre rut.
More insects.

4TH WEEK

May have snow to deal with.
The elk have been pushed around for 4 weeks now including a week of muzzleloaders.
Past the prime rut( just a little bit).
Outfitter has been dealing with hunters for 4 weeks now lol.
If snow is on you can cut elk tracks. This is a great plus.
Not as many insects. This is a plus also.

As you can see there is good and bad with both weeks. You'll just have to decide what week you think will be best for you.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rdb1125

1st trip for elk. I'm looking at an outfitter called Winterhawk, has anyone heard of them? Right now I have a choice of the 1st or 4th week. Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the better week to hunt.
They've been on tv a lot since y2k. Seems good.