Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dys goat hunt

Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Default Dys goat hunt

Hey guys and girls ,looking to hunt goats but can't afford a guide .So I'm going to have to hunt the lower 48 .Any advise would be great. I'll back pack in up to 20 miles if I have too.Drawing a tag looks like a long shot but what ever it takes. Maybe some one in BC would like to take me along,for some hunting in the lower 48 or some greatlakes fishing I have my own boat.Or how about labor, I install flooring for a living.Any advice chime in please.

[/align]
Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dys goat hunt

I'm thinking that in goat country you might have to use a guide. I'll check on this....
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Not all places are guide required for goats. Theres states that offer goat tags and dont need a guide. Have to check into each states reg's. Example, Wyoming only has 2 goat units. And in those 2 units if your unguided you must stay out of the wilderness area's unless you have a guide. Better be checking soon as most draws are coming up soon and odds are you'll have to start building bonus points in order to draw. Unless your one of those lucky guys who draws out the first year. Ive done 2 goat hunts, be ready for some of the ruggest country North America has to offer. People say and I will second that (depending where you go exactly but mostly true), goat country starts where sheep country ends. If your in great shape and up for a challenge of the hunt and what the mountain can bring you, its an awesome and rewarding hunt. If your backpacking, Ive never thought about 1/4 pound here and 1/8 pound here, etc,on your gear on any other hunts. If theres anything you can "trim" in weight towards your gear, trim it as it all adds up in the country goats live in and you'll thank your self later.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Getting a tag is going to be the problem in the lower 48. It took me 13 years to draw here in Colorado. You don't need a guide in Colorado. I went in unit G13. Lots of goats there. NR also get a few a tags. I hunted Iowa Peak, Mt Huron, Missouri Peak.

Not to many tags for NR in UT, WY.

Not sure about MT. I would look at Washington State-----quite a few goats in the Cascades.

Good Luck------CB

Another thought would be to buy some raffle tickets. I know they sell Mtn Goat & sheep raffle tickets here in Colorado. # of tickets for sheep is 1500, for goats it's 500. Cost is $25 per ticket. This is from memory. Just a thought---maybe worth $100 to take a chance.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Colo unit 48 I think. Or near there. Westish of buena Vista, no guide kneeded. Good Knees Kneeded tho. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks guys .I will look at the raffle chances.I like spike camping ,one time for 14 days in the bitterroot ,2 days walk in . I hunted elk alot and see lots of goats .Had them in side 30yds. and got a good photo.But they only give out 2 tags there in montana ,Idaho is the same way it looks like 2 tags here andthere maybe 15 for the whole state.If I'm reading right.I 'm not getting any younger and if it takes me 10 or so years my knees might be wore out by the time I get a tag .Justy look at every option out there.

[/align]
Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

apply everywhere, draw the tag and go get it done. It's certainly possible. If you draw a wilderness unit where a guide is required, make a post looking for a local to tag along with, have him get his license which is like $20 to register and DIY, or just DIY, I read somewhere about people having a problem with guides required for non-residents, I kinda have to agree, do it at your own risk....I thinks hould be the headline, not guide required. Too many laws in this country.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt over look Idaho for its goats either if your looking for a decent draw odd (considering). One of the better odds in drawing as you must buy a hunting lic in order to apply for the draw. And there is no bonus points awarded each year of not drawing. Alot of people will not apply as its fairly costly due to you cant build points. Plus if you apply for goats you cant apply for another limited entry draw such as sheep or moose.Example, you wont have the sheep hunters applying against you on the goat draw. Keeps the applicants spread out to help the odds.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM

I think I'll send my money to montana where I know best. Then look to one other . Add a n.r. tag for illinios and the deer and elk tag for montana and I'll be busted .Did I mention mydaughter is getting married this june . double ouch! It dosn't look like there is a goat tag in the lower 48 that has better then 1 in 100 odds or drawing.

[/align]
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the website for the Colorado raffle on a Mtn Goat & Bighorn Ram tag. Good luck if you enter but BETTER luck to me !!

http://www.BighornSheep.org/Raffles....ghornRamRaffle

Quick Reply: Dys goat hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.