Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

ORIGINAL: Rimrock

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked at the regs quickly and for residents it said no black bear tag required im that area. Ill have to look closer for nonresident rules. Have you ever been in the vicinity of harper mountain? thats the closest name to where we are going. I would be bummed not to find a moose antler.
You must mean no resident grizzly tag is required in Unit 20D. Residents don't need black bear tags anywhere in Alaska. For black bears in all of Unit 20 there's no closed season and the bag limit is 3 bears per regulatory year. As a non-resident you'd need a hunting license ($85) and however many black bear tags you care to buy ($225/each).

If you're going to be bummed if you don't find a moose antler prepare yourself to be bummed. I've never found one in all my years of bumbling around through the boonies up here. I've found a ton of caribou sheds though. I've never been around Mt Harper though so maybe the moose sheds areall over there. In general the combination of the very low population densities of moose (compared to other big game animals), their tendency to live in very brushy areas, and all of the gnawing rodents such as squirrels, voles, porcupines, etc. means that the odds of finding moose sheds is pretty slim. People that do it with any regularity general use planes to spot them from above and they know the areas where the bulls tend to yard up in the early winter when they shed.

AK Jeff
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Thanks for the info again Jeff. Ill change my expectations to black bear hunting and helping my friend brown bear hunt.