Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Electronic Calls vs. Dogs?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Electronic Calls vs. Dogs?

Which do you think is more/less ethical? I'm particularly referring to the pursuit of mt.lions, recently for one state, it's illegal to call to a mt.lion using an electronic call, ie banned, yet you can chase em with dogs, tree them, then shoot them out of a tree. Personally I see much more of a challenge in calling in a mt.lion even with an electronic call, than following dogs until they tree one. Does anyone else agree/disagree? Personally I want a mt.lion, but really don't want to shoot one out of a tree. To me this is unethical. I also don't forsee mt.lions to just come charging in left and right due to the use of an electronic call. What do you think?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Electronic Calls vs. Dogs?

To shoot and kill an animal quickly is ethical, but to shoot one and wound it and then leave it without trying to recover is unethcial, IMO. The way the animal is hunted has nothing to do with ethics!
Why use an ecaller. If you REALLY want a thrill and want to challenge yourself against the cat, why not hand calls only?
To say one methond of take is more ethical than another is horse pucky!
From all the stroys I hear, following dogs in pursuit of a cat is NOT the easiest hunt going. Plus, once the cat is treed, the hunter has the chance to determine the sex of the cat, and determine if it's the size of cat that they are wanting to take. If you call a mountain lion in, will you be able to determine it's sex. I assume you're talking about CO., and here in CO. you're not required to shoot only males, BUT they do prefer of males being taken, instead of females. There's even an online class that you have to take to learn how to determine sex of the cats.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does anyone even know of any mt.lion calls? aside from the typical wounded rabbit etc...calls, I mean like cat in heat......etc....I know some of the electronic callers have these programmed. I did read an article somewher ethough where the guy said he wouldn't want to be anywhere near the caller, since they're so stealthy, which is one thing to point out. Being able to use a call from a slight distance.

I have heard following dogs can be a tough hunt, there's just something about shooting a lion from a tree, to me that seems unfair and I won't do it.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

SO, let me guess, shooting a whitetail from a treestand isn't "unfair". OR shooting a antelope from a blind at a water hole, is that "unfair".
Just because the method of take seems unfair to you doesn't make it wrong or unethical.

How about if a bow is used instead of a gun. Then is it still unfair to shoot the cat out of a tree.

And, what about the issue of sex recognition. DO you care if you shoot a female or a male? The CDOW does!

There are a couple of guys that I know that have contacted the CDOW about possibly changing the rules to allow Ecallers for mtn. lion. It could happen someday. There are currently other states that allow the use of Ecallers for calling mtn. lion.
As far as cat sounds, you are right, only sounds that I'm aware of with hand calls are distress and Ecalls can have cat sounds on them.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only want to shoot a male, and only would less being attacked/threatened. I wouldn't want to shoot a cat from a tree with a bow or a gun, but esp not a bow. I bowhunt more than anything.Hunting a whitetail from a treestand feels like natural predator skills, I'm not over bait nor would I be, similar to bear hunting over bait, that doesn't peak my interest either.

A cat being chased by dogs for miles and miles, seeks refuge in a tree, to wait the dogs out to leave, knowing they can't climb a tree, if he knew a guy with a bow/rifle followed the dogs, I think he'd attack the dogs or just keep going. Then the hunter comes along and the cats in the tree growling, with really no escape, sure he can jump down, but it's not like a deer on land in open country or even a cat on open ground, where they can flee easily, how about if you tracked a cat into a cave, with no escape? is this fair? or a long narrow alleyway of sorts, what if it was a deer, corned in adeep ravine etc...with the only escape from the way he came in. This doesn't sit too comfy with me.

I wasn't talking about colorado, though I would like to see it available for all states, I wonder if they impose that so more outfitters are used for cat hunting, otherwise how would you do it? sure hand calls. or dogs/outfitter, not sure about just stalking tracks yourself....