Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

PS- I wish more states would just bill you later than up front, odds are you won't draw 5 tags at $1500 a piece and could apply omre places, and I'm not against requiring a license to apply etc....as long as you can have pts.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Garth Carter publishing to read and look at, but overall, Idont likethe concept. I remember back when I personally had to call to just get the regs, keep my own files not to miss a draw deadline, call all the biologist, find the draw odds, etc. Was half the fun in setting up a hunt. Now people can just take 10 minutes looking at the Huntin Fooland have an application ready. I use the Carter for 1 reason, I try to find units he doesnt talk about and apply for those. Good odds you'll draw a tag easier and if I do my homework, be in a good unit anyways for a good critter. Ive personally called them in the past after drawing a tag and they didnt help much past that. Reason being I dont pay them to apply for me, I like applying for myself. I dont hire a guide, I hunt DIY. Iam only a member but should try to still give advise. Cabela's is another one Im nota fan for. They "front" most the money in the draws, think they call its program T.A.G.S. Just another place for people who are too lazy to apply on there ownor make the effortand making the draw odds harder and harder for everyone else.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Wow, am I in the dark or what -lol . . .I'm building points inCO, WY and MT and I have no clue who Garth Carter is. . I thought all of us were doing our own research, applying andpoint purchasing (the DIY guys anyway) . . .and Cabelasoffers this service too??What a crock, any one want them to come along, maybe carry your rifle or field dress your animal for you??
Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thats kinda what it boils down. They want you to ultimately hired a guide or outfitterif you draw a tag so they can make even more moneyoff you with the %%% will collect. So if you ask nice they may just carry your gun, too. Ever look at the pricesCabelahunts are. Overly high as theres outfitters out there notworking with them just as good but at alot lower rate.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Spike

I am applying for MT archery elk/deer combo tag. Does anyone know what the chances of drawing are? I think the area that I am thinking about going is a general area. There is actually a party of 4 of us going out and we will be applying as a party, how much does this increase our odds?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Montana so I dont really worry about the draw odds as Im gracedby over the counter tags. Theres acouple guys on this forum that will pry chirp in if they see thisas they know the odds and such. However, I do know, Ive got acouple out of state buddy's wanting to come hunt with me and this will be there 3rd year applying for the same lic your looking at. So whatever thats worth take it as it is....
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Montana Deer/Elk combo tag has had about a 60% draw success the last few years. If you apply as a group you will have a 60% chance all of you will draw or a 40% chance none of you will draw. If you don't apply as a group the odds are that 2 will get drawn and 2 will not.

If you are drawing as a group the important thing is for all to have the same preference points. If you don't get drawn this year it would almost be a sure thing next year with everyone having preference points.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea I think in most states a party application, everyone must draw, otherwise all reject their tags, til next year more pts and hopefully everyone draws, that's why even my father and I apply individually, I still have fun chasing an elk with him if he's the only one hunting and vice versa, also if we consistently hunt the same areas, we'll be hunting the same area more often, just not both hunting. So you may considerdividing your group into 2 groups of 2 rather than 1 group of 4. Or just have everyone apply individually and if the 3rd or 4th guy doesn't draw maybe they'd still want to tag along, also check OTC tags, maybe they can tag along and hunt something else.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

haha, maybe that's a new service to offer! Someone to tag along and carry your rifle and gut your animal for you, but nothing else, haha, kinda like a guide minus the skills.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM

....After applying for years for various tags up here for sheep, moose, caribou,goat,bison, and elk....finally won myFIRST tag ever.
A Delta Controlled Use Area Dall sheep tag-DS203.
I am so thankfull for this dream hunt......the next 6 months is waking up and preparing, visualizing,and sharing the anticipation of it with my best friend and hunting partner; my mate. Not everyone can share that with their significant other......He took an awesome ram 2 years ago in the Tok management area ( hard to win permit area as well).......I bought a grizzly tag before we headed in on that hunt, just in case.
...........The feeling is so humbling....we have been able to hunt every harvest season here on the Kenai Peninsula for sheep, moose, and black bear....and thank God for always having the freezer full of that(mostly bear......and salmon and halibut).....but drawing that permit is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will never take for granted. ...not to mention TWO sheep permits in the same household, within two years.
....The biggest expense for the hunt will probably be the babysitter.(can't take the little ones on THIS one). :It's hard to believe: As a woman especially.....the opportunities we all have in this great country: even as recently as 100 years ago, women had just secured the right to vote.

:Thank the Lord for our land, our freedom.........and the right to bear arms.....