Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

I am a Wyoming resident. I will apply for Moose in Wyoming & Montana this year. I have been looking at draw odds.Sometimes non-redidents have better draw odds, percentage wise than residents.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

I am a Wyoming resident. I will apply for Moose in Wyoming & Montana this year. I have been looking at draw odds.Sometimes non-redidents have better draw odds, percentage wise than residents.
Gotta love that Wolf! haha, makes sense though I recently thought that may be the case somewhere.....esp in states where they gurantee non-res like 10% of tags, and where you must buy a non-res license to appy etc.....if that's the case all you need is 10X the amount of residents to apply for their 90% of tags, and non-res will see an advantage, I'm applying for moose somewhere this year, possibly WY and MT, or ID.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idrew a non-resident Deer/Elk combo license last year in Montana and drew a non-resident Antelope tag as well. I was happy to get a nice 5x5 mule deer and a nice mature antelope as well. I didn't even attempt to hunt elk after failing to draw a special permit in the breaks that I applied for.

This year I'm applying for an Elk license in Wyoming and those results are posted by 2/29 so if I don't get drawn there I will still have time to apply in Montana for the Deer/Elk combo license.

I've thought about applying for Elk licenses in New Mexico and Arizona, but so far I'm sticking to places that I know or have friends that know the areas. So far I've been 100% DIY on my hunts. This year I will be hopefully hunting with a friend who lives in Wyoming,so not sure if that counts as DIY or not, but he is not a professional guide or anything like that.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet - I apply in tons of states.

Usually SD, CO, IA, NM, MT, NV, KS, WY (also UT and AZ in the past - think I'm letting my points expire in those states though - it's just getting to expensive).

My dream hunt is any good tag I happen to draw
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Giving up on UT and AZ? 2 of the best elk states? Understandable, hope more guys follow your lead....esp in UT this year with it going from $10 for 2 species to $85. Wonder if UT will lose alot of guys this year because of that, or if since guys already have points if they'll just continue applying. I think it'll def hinder new applicants.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

You bet - I apply in tons of states.

Usually SD, CO, IA, NM, MT, NV, KS, WY (also UT and AZ in the past - think I'm letting my points expire in those states though - it's just getting to expensive).

My dream hunt is any good tag I happen to draw
SoDakhunter,
don't let your points expire just purchase the bonus points and let them build till you have the funds to make it worth while.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

I try to apply in all the western states for the actual draw or points each year, took a few years to build enough funds to do so and now keep those funds in a seperate account for each year. Never know when a person will draw. Ive drawn a Nevada elk tag about 5 years ago with zero point. Also drawn an utah elk tag with only 3 points. If you dont apply, you cant draw.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I work here, live here, hunt here, have points here. Luck[:@] however is another thing. The west is a great place, high dry, 14' of snow.

For you dreamers and applicants , here's the 2008 COlo Big Game Brochure:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/RulesRegs/RegulationsBrochures/BigGame.htm
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Saluki,

There is no shortage of guys that apply for the special draw tags. Applicant numbers are rising significantly due to outfits like Garth Carter publicizing everrything. Overall hunter numbers dropping nationally, yet the total of those trophy hunting increases. More guys are just getting educatedhow and where to do this. One of my spots went from 100% draw odds every year to 15% today. I apply for about 40 hunts each year and on average draw about 2. I have been lucky enough to draw tags and score elk in all 3 of the states you mention: Utah (320"), Arizona (340") & Nevada (350"). The later two being archery.

Focussing more on drawing a decent tag with my girlfriend, who took up archery. Got enough trophies on the wall.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome job on the elk Zim! That's what I'm looking to do. Enough trophies on the wall? Are you saying you have like 100+ on your walls? haha. I think garth is helping guys make wiser decisions possibly, though I'm not sure if he's the end all be all on when/where to hunt. I think alot of guys still just pay for guided hunts/tags without the draw, but you're probably right, more people are becoming educated and robably more willing than ever to wait and draw that premo tag.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.