Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The "Side arm vs Grizzly" thread got me thinking

Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The "Side arm vs Grizzly" thread got me thinking

Here's one where they used a handgun even though they didn't have to shoot the bear it was the right gun for the moment I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw&NR=1
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Another one of these bear debates?

I live in northern Montana, and I can tell it to you straight. I encounter black and browns on a monthly basis and hunt seasonally.

If you are hiking in bear country and you want a side arm, you don’t need the biggest gun on the rack. Your actually better off with bear spray, I know that for a personal fact.

You are fine with a .357, here is the proof.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...?ID=1000014248
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stompin, I'm sure you have more experience in big bear country living there in MT than I. But I wonder what do you do with bear spray if you happen to be down wind or with a strong cross-wind and happen to encounter a grizzly.
I have carried the bear spray cannisters along with my .300 WM when Elk hunting in the mountains 100 mi. SE of Yellowstone, where they have them. But I started carrying a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk there this past year as a backup in case I unexpectedly gotten into close quarters with a bear or mtn. lion (which we did cross tracks of this year). The reason I changed to that was being on top of some of those ridge lines with a 35+ mph wind I figure the bear spray would be of little use in such a situation.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me shotgun & slugs, but that's just me...to each his own when it comes to that, you really don't know exactly how YOU will react until you are confronted with that situation. I was chased by a hog once, can't imagine having a bear charging...shotgun for sure, that in my book is pretty much going to 100% put him down, if it doesn't then your in trouble anyway.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Targethogs, that's fine if you're carrying just the shotgun with slugs and not a rifle and equipment for hunting other big game. I'm just saying for the case where I'm hunting big game in the western mountains where there are number of big bears and cats, I've started carrying a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk with Corbon 300 gr solid cast bullets as a backup sidearm along with my .300 WM for Elk. I've been on the tops of some ridges in the mountains of Wyoming with it blowing 30-35 mph and snow bursts, with my bear spray and rifle. I decided then that aside from the obvious first choice to try to avoid any contact with grizzlies, second choice if necessary would have to deter it with a bullet from the .300 wm and lastly if it came too close for that to have a magnum revolver as a last resort. I figured with the wind wiping like that any bear spray would just as like get blow every other direction except in the bear's face or just as bad back in my own. I think there are situations that bear spray is still the best choice (e.g. places where firearms aren't an option, on hikes through areas potentially with big predator encounters where weather isn't a factor.)