Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Archery Elk?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default New Mexico Archery Elk?

Thinking bout New Mexico bow in '08 - Elk guided 2 on 1 or i on 1 hunt. I would appreciate the following:

1. Any recommendations on guides;and
2. GMU's? Considering uint 6a or 9; noticed the second season (which I am leaning toward) in 6A is a high demand area.
3. Thoughts on DIY first time? ( have hunted rifle Elk in Co. a few seasons)

Any other relevant info that you could pass along would be most gracious.

thanx

dr
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Mexico Archery Elk?

Hunted unit 10 last season with an outfitter, archery, no luck, but they also hunt unit 9, and say it would be a fairly good unit for DIY, but most mature bulls are 5x5.

I don't know much about 6a.

If you're going guided, apply for a tag using the outfitters #, draw rates are much higher for non-residents using an outfitter than, non-resident, non-guided.

If you're considering an outfitter/guide, I hunted the wilderness portion of the Gila, with an outfitter's # you can draw this tag's 1st or 2nd season fairly easy and you'll be looking / holding out for 330-350" bulls! And from what my outfitter told me, he prefers the 1st season, then 2nd, then 3rd, less pressure, less broken antlers, more oepn to calling....haven't herded up with teh cows....I hunted the wilderness which was 16d or 16b, I"m not sure, but check a map only 1 of those 2 are wilderness.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Spike

salukipv1
Not many NM bow elk chasers out there I guess.

Thanks for your reply - your the only that came back w/ anything.

dr
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Dont feel bad not many peoplereplied. Not a lot of people will be willing to give up there units and such to only have more people to have put in the draws, to ultimatelymake the draw odds worse for the person giving some info. Call the biologist for the areas. Thats where I always first start. I hunt NM, has some good elk hunting and some awesome hunting too in certain areas.