Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou ?'s

Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Caribou ?'s

I am planning my caribou hunt for the fall. while it is goin to be my first time i thought I would ask some seasoned caribou veterans what are some important things to keep in mind. Keep in mind i will be taking my bow.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Caribou ?'s

The most inportant is learn what you are shooting . As far as I see it they are easy, but you have to know size .
The rule of thumb is Double shovels, Big Bezes and back tines and you have a good Caibou . As most while tail hunters the first time they think that it's bigger that anything they have seen , but alot of times it
's a small carbou. A nice carbou the tines or Main beam is pushing 50 ". Not nessasaily having the double shovel .

These Hunts Have gone shy high this year.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Where are you going? I went to Quebec once and had a blast. 12 guys shot 12 Bulls. Wish I would have taken my Bow. Both Bulls I shot we're less than 30 yds. Like said the size of their racks are decieving, I shot two average Bulls. I went around Sept 7th. most all the Bulls were in velvet, the bigger bulls were starting to loose theirs. The Shovels should be as long as their noise is one way to judge the size. Do a serch online, there are many sites to tell how to judge the rack size of Caribou. Good Luck
Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM

I would recommend practice shooting in windy and rainy conditions at moving targets.Boo don't stay still, they seem to be always on the move. Be ready for shots out to 60 yds. The weather changes quickly so have gear and a good pack. Get in condition for lots of hiking. Research your outfitter if you are using one.Be ready to hunt hard as you never know if you'll hit a migration or be hunting singles or doubles. Be ready for a great time.
I went in early sept. last year to northern Quebec and it was the hunt of a lifetime.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Where you headen?

[/align]
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

GPS, I've never heard so many stories of guides/hunters getting lost as I have about geting lost in the tundra, it all looks the same! I'd have a gps and know how to use it!

Cousin told me a story on his caribou hunt......their guide went fishing at a local lake near camp, about halfmile or mile away from camp, was lost for 10 days! before their hunt, and this was the guy guiding them! talk about feeling safe!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM

I am guide for 16 year in quebec for the caribou hunt and I tell you something about the bow hunt.When the reelmigration is there no probleme whit the bow but when you 25 bull per days just in case bring the riffle also. Second point for the chance book whit a outfitter who have camp in the bush,cover it important when it open you see the caribou but the caribou see you also do you shoot a deer when is open land.

ps. sorry for my english am french
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the "Other areas" forum, there is a large post in there about bou hunting. Check it out, lots of info.

Ron
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Sorry ron apolog...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM

cari2 I think ron was telling the poster to resreach a larger post on bou.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Caribou ?'s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.