Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

question for all the bear hunters out there

Old 02-04-2003, 08:35 AM
ARO

Default question for all the bear hunters out there

i am new to black bear hunting, this will be my second time, this may. i have read and heard alot about scent and bear hunting. everyone says your stand setup depends on the wind, and a bear always approachs the bait from down wind, so how can you avoid being winded, when bowhunting and are close to the bait.

thanks
ARO

www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ARO/deer.html
Old 02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question for all the bear hunters out there

Set up two different baits, or two different stands at one bait site. If the wind blows in a general direction in your area, such as south east or north west, set your stands up accordingly and chose which one suits the wind direction.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 02-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ABM.

However I have a question or experience to relate that has left me a little puzzled on this wind and bear thing. Last spring on 2 occasions I got to my stand and only to have the wind switch direction having my scent actually downwind of the bait...basically blowing to the bears. Both these evenings I was stuck in that spot and didn't have time to move or relocate(Bow hunting over bait, BTW). Figuring it would be a night of watching nothing and seeing nothing, I just sat back to enjoy the forest(Since it is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way from my home). Well in both occasion I actually saw more activity at my bait then any other times when I had the text book setup. The bears that approached downwind tended to hang back but still meadered in and hit the bait. I also observed a number that actually did not come in downwind last spring.

So my question is, was it patterning to the bait, smell is really not that important when in a treestand or just luck?
Bait site detail: BTW I am about 16 Feet up in spruce trees, with mixed forest surrounding my bowl where the bait is, to west where most the bears bed, it is about eyelevel to my location(which happens to be a berry tree patch in the summer- so i can usely catch glimpses of the bears approaching from that direction) and then drops into the bowl to the bait. Where I was sitting on these 2 evenings the bait is 22 yards from my stand and 4 bears walked right under my stand on route to the bait

ABM or others any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not at all experienced with bear baiting, but just came up with that idea to fight the wind problems. What I do know though, is that bears will eventually associate your smell with the bait site, and if they are moving in and out frequently, they will become comfortable with it and probably be more prone to coming in if they smell your fresh scent because it means fresh (to them at least) food.

Just a guess.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 PM

Another tip I heard would be to use a strong scent at the bait, like anise oil, vanilla etc, sprinkle some around when you freshen your bait, then use the same as a cover scent around your stand. Give them a scent that they associate with a refilled bait and then use it around your stand, scent lok type garments would help with this as well. Good luck. Show us pictures.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have two stand that I hunt depending on the wind. At a bait site it seems that the first bear will come in down wind and the rest seem to come from all directions. Last spring was strange the bear all came from up wind except two. scent away your self and use some cover scent. they get used to human smell a little because your there every day or two to bait.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:57 PM

In my experiences I will use a cover scent but also believe that a bear knows that you' re around because when going to and from the bait piles you are leaving your scent from everything you touch.and also the bears that come to my stations always circle around before coming in,I had a bear circle and come in at least three times before settling in to eat and when they have been feeding they would look right up at me and then go back to eating. IMO they didn' t really associate my scent for danger till it was to late.This is a true story that happened to me this last season.I was filling up my bait pile and then I noticed that a bear was watching me and I never took my eyes off of him and moved slowly out of the area and when I was walking away and was at a safer distance I watched him come in.but the sad part was that I didn' t get him because that same day I left for Idaho to hunt for Elk.Hopefully I' ll get picked for a permit this season.