Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou hunting?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default Caribou hunting?

Hello. I'v been wanting to go Caribou hunting anyone know any good outfitters. i'v never been before.

Thanks,
Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: Caribou hunting?

I did a hunt in Quebec, and I know guys that go every year, that know use mirage as there base camp. We hunted the migration at the main camp and there really isn't an outfitter per say. Its more like do it yourself than anything. The thing with Caribou is that either they are everywhere or there are none. When they are there its like shooting fish in a barrel-when they are gone, you need to have some sort of aircraft ($$$$$) to get to them. When I went they were there and it was crazy. You drive down the ice roads till you see a herd, than go and set up. If one heard has crossed, you bet more will be coming down the same path. You will see hundreds of animals. The bad thing was the locals were there to harvest meat and they were not hunters by any means. shooting out of trucks, chasing animals down the road, it was the wild west at its worst. God forbida heardof boucrossed between you and the road and a local was driving by.

We had deep snow and you needed snow shoes or a snowmobile to recover your animals.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm signed up with Tuttulik for next fall. I've heard good things about them, but 2007 was a very bad year regarding the migration. Hopefully this year will be great.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

The issue of the herd either being there in the thousands or none at all is real. The baron ground caribou in Quebec and Labrador is a migratory animal and you hunt can be a success or complete failure if getting an animal is the top consideration. If it were me I would hunt woodland caribou in Newfoundland instead. Using a guide is mandatory but the woodland caribou aren't really that migratory. Instead of going for hundreds or thousands of miles they often only go 50 miles from their summer range to the winter range. I went 3 years in a row and never had a time in camp when all the sports didn't get nice animals. The last time out was 2 years ago and out of the 4 of us we got 2 SCI book animals and the other 2 were almost book. The hunting is pretty physical with lots of hiking into the different bog areas or lookouts for spotting. The hunt was really fun and the guides and outfitter was great. The costs were usually less than a baron ground hunt because only one animal was to be taken as opposed to 2 in Quebec. Additional tags could be purchased which put the hunt about at what a baron ground hunt would be. I always used Snowshoe Lake Hunting and fishing and give them my absolute highest recommendation. If anyone needs additional info feel free to PM me. The woodland stag has to be about the prettiest animal on earth.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the thread (quebec winter caribou hunting) in the regional forum " other section"
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=515915
You will find all you want to know and more!!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted with Tuttulik this season and would recommend their outfit. This was a lifelong dream hunt and they came through for me. I had done tons of research on hunting all the 'bou so feel free to contact me.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I know a few people who have used the following outfitter. Eitherfor a Boo hunt or Bear hunt.
http://www.aubergecanadaventure.com/english.htm

Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Go in September, the winter hunt is ok if your a meat hunter. But to get the hunting experience you expect do the real hunt. You don't need a guide, we went on the one that had camp tenders that cut fire wood and took care of our meat. We did the rest. Good Luck
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 AM

Try giving these 2 Outfitters a call, Munroe Lake lodge,Northern Manitoba,Canada. Robert or Michelle,or NeultinLakeLodge,NorthernManitoba/Nunivat,Canada.

Quick Reply: Caribou hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.