Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your thoughts,

Old 11-20-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Your thoughts,

I used a guide this year to introduce me to Pronghorn hunting. Had a good time and both my son and I filled our tags opening weekend. Had no buddies to show me where and how. . .not hard but always good to go with a vet the first time. The guide hunted us on BLM land and I did see other hunters while out there with this guy. Next fall I would like to hunt that unit and place again but with out this guide. . .would this be considered a crappy thing to do or is this reasonable? I paid for a great hunt and learned what I needed to learn but I don't need his camp.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your thoughts,

Was it by chance unit 11? No that wouldn't be considered a crappy thing to do at all
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM

no. . . . .but I was thinking about checking that unit out for mulies and speed goats and have been talking to a buddy about one right close to 11. . . .you had any luck out that way? Kind of a long drive but beats spending days hiking with out filling tags.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

matter of fact i have on elk anyways i am 3 for 3 with them so far and where i go in unit 11 (classified) if u want i can pm you but when you go out there with a mulie tag you are guarnteed to get one we have seen close to 500 in a day in and out of every draw it's crazy. As for antelope it take's 7 prefernce points to get a buck and i currently have 4 so hopping to get one soon because we always see alot of antelope as well along with many nice bucks.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

I used a guide this year to introduce me to Pronghorn hunting. Had a good time and both my son and I filled our tags opening weekend. Had no buddies to show me where and how. . .not hard but always good to go with a vet the first time. The guide hunted us on BLM land and I did see other hunters while out there with this guy. Next fall I would like to hunt that unit and place again but with out this guide. . .would this be considered a crappy thing to do or is this reasonable? I paid for a great hunt and learned what I needed to learn but I don't need his camp.
Yup, that is BS. You go into an area with a guide, then dump him and start hunting the same area yourself, sorry dude, thats just BS. If I were the guide and saw you in there by yourself or worse with some buddies, there would be some fist flying, and i'll bet your guide will do the same. Not to mention the locals who have this spot, and now an out of stater plus the guide to deal with.[:@]
Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 AM

mad max . . thanks for comments. . . .don't post as much as I used to due to all youngsters that play here now. I wonder how many years one must live in this state before he counts as living here?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I hope your guide provided you with much more information and help than just showing you a spot and that next year you will feel that you need his expertise to go back hunting, but if you do not feel that way then you are free to do what you want and not feel bad about it.

I am myself a computer consultant and more often than not customers try to extract everything they can from me and later on do the work themselves or worse hire a recent immigrant at a much cheaper rate. This is life. Fortunately I have a set of good customers who realize that I bring good value to their business.