Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question on black bear - virginia area

Old 11-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Question on black bear - virginia area

I am very unfamiliar with bear hunting. The only big game hunting I've done is whitetail, where I just still hunt on a trail or field. However, my hunting license came with 1 bear tag, and I wouldn't mind taking one.

I am sure that sitting on a field is ineffective, the only wild bear I've seen were running through the woods. What do you guys do when hunting bear?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 AM

Default RE: Question on black bear - virginia area

I suggest the same as Ridge Runner, find out where they are feeding. If Virginia has been in a drought like TN has it might be a bit tricky to find their food source. Also, buy a copy of Wayne Carlton's Callin' Bears. I am going to trycalling bears with a wounded cottontail callthis year because of the drought. I think that the bears might have a bit more predator in them this year. You can use it to your advantage but make sure you are ready and have a buddy hinting with you.