Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Stolen Elk

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Stolen Elk

ORIGINAL: EKM

"....Posting for a friend of mine. He shot a Bull Elk on Friday the 26th of October in North Central Colorado. They skinned and hung it at there camp. They went back out to see if they could get his buddy an elk and when they came back the Elk had been stolen...."
"....It was pretty easy for whomever did it, they just backed there truck up to the tree it was hanging in and cut the rope...."
It is a less than perfect world that we live in....

Though I enjoy talking to hunters on the trail and at the trail head when we are packing our elk out,we shift gears as we head on outfor our camp and become more secretive....

(1) We cut off the road well before we get near camp and work our way intoour camp from the backside.

(2) We hangour elk quartersin the heavily shaded section of the trees behind camp where it iscool/cold and also out of sight. Our meat is quartered which makes it more easy to put them in "out of the way places." [For the stolen elk to be whole, they must haveused a pickup to deliver it into camp, easy in, easy out.]

(3) We keep heads and racksdiscretely out of sight also.

Note: As an aside, we also keep our horses on high lines back in the trees and largely out of sight as well.

The only time passersby know we have gotten into the elk is when we butcher and there is this pile of leg bones growing outside the front door of the wall tent as we work our way through them.

Sorry to hear about the theft, yet sounds like some discretionmight haveproven beneficial.
I totally agree, we always quarter our elk mostly because we take it out on our own backs. Keep it out of sight and out of mind. Way too many sh!theads in society today. Sure would have been fun to shoot their tires out had you caught them in the act! How stupid can you be to steel from somebody carrying firearms..