Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling all Elk hunters . . . which magazine??

Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling all Elk hunters . . . which magazine??

Let's see where some of us rank on the "am I dumber than a stump meter"..........
Bugle magazine is by far the best Elk hunting mag going....period. End of discussion.
But some among us won't "belong" to the RMEF because not all of the money goes to conservation? Where do you think the money goes that you spend on the "other magazines"?Whatever the percentageof the RMEF money that goes to conservation, my guess is that is more than all the others do....combined!!
Don't get me wrong, I get 6 different ones currently and like most of them, most of the time. But for elk...it's Bugle.
And to suggest not buying it because you have to join is really funny!!! Like the money you spend on any of the others doesn't go to large salaries and administration and publication costs etc.???

Good arguement......no sweat off my arse......but sounds a little flimsy in the logic department to me!
Personally, I enjoy Bugle and gladly pay the "join" fee every year in order to get the magazine. But then again I get Outdoor Life and could care less what they do with my money.....except I wish they would bring Zumbo back!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Well i agree on bringing zumo back, better still carmicle or oconnor.
Outdoor life aint worth the paper its printed on anymore.
Once it was a life changing magazine 50-60s
My problem with RMEF, FNAWS etc is they have come to the opinion that sheep elk etc only exist because of their efforts. I have killed a few of both and they were in the mountains on public land long before either of these outfitts got going. Helk FAWNS talks like our Canadian sheep were extinct before these guys showed, up even though our 100 thousand sheep all live on public land.
I knew DU members who seemed concerned about our duck populations then head to mexico to hunt because there was no limits on their kills............
I'm not so dumb. I believe membership in either doesn't guarrantee I have good ethics.
There are other ways to spend my bucks on conservation..............like buyin a hunting license.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Well stated tango. I agree 100%.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Another vote for Eastman's. Sure, it only runs stories about guys who bag huge trophies, but what magazine doesn't? How many issues do you think they'd sell if they frequently ran stories about guys shooting spikes, raghorns, and cows?

Edit: And one more thing- quite a few of the stories are about DIY hunts, which I find to be much more entertaining than a story about some guy who paid an outfitter thousands of dollars to do everything but walk, ride, and shoot for him.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Let's see where some of us rank on the "am I dumber than a stump meter"..........
Thats the way to win folks over to your side of an argument..... call them stupid!

My comment about the RMEF was in reference to the comment:
The RMEF is the #1 conservation organization
which I just don't agree with.

I know that many on here disagree with me, but I feel like my money is better spent with SCI. They are out there on the frontlines battling with the HSUS and PETA in court defending our rights to hunt.

If you want to joinsimply for the magazine so be it. Just don't try to force feedme the "conservation" angle. THAT DOG DON'T HUNT!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Eastman's is #1 in IMO. Great photos, good stories from everyday Joes like us. They appy for special draw units & the results speak for themselves. Eastman's have specail articles on how to apply for them. Because of that magazine I started applying for a WY moose tag---after 7 years I drew this year. I got a nice moose not REAL big one----but as nice one IMO. CB

PS---I love the dedicated sheep issue.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Spike

I also like Eastmans..
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

All the large national chain book stores carry the RMEF Bugle magazine and you don't have to join if either you don't want to or have felt compelled to quit, but still want to read the magazine.